Help finding shaper rub collar 1/4" height

Looking for a shaper ball-bearing rub collar OD 1-7/8", bore 3/4", and (the hard part) height 1/4". Looked in all my catalogs at home, and DAGS... why is it that *none* of the vendors selling rub collars mention the height? I have to pick up the phone and call _every_single_one_ ... and can't find anybody with 1/4" height collars.

Grizzly -- 5/16. Rockler, Woodline, MLCS -- 7/16. Woodcraft -- dunno; we'll call you back. [still waiting]

Anybody know a vendor selling 1/4" height ball bearing rub collars?

TIA...

Reply to
Doug Miller

No, but I'd go to the local industrial bearing supply or search the online bearing suppliers. For that thin you may well have to find a bearing and get the outer diameter by pressing on an outer spacer.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

You can also look here at Freud's selections

look at Amana.

I think, however, it will be hard to find any bearing of 3/4" bore that is only 1/4" thick.

As for the question of why they don't show thickness on ball bearing collars, it's because most are intended for above or below pattern following, not between which is about the only place where the actual thickness would matter...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Yeah, that's probably what I'll wind up doing...

rub collar.

And that, of course, is exactly what I want it for... :-)

Reply to
Doug Miller

I ken, but 1/4" thickness w/ 3/4" bore is pretty flimsy bearing remembering there has to be room in the total thickness for at least two-sided seals for the purpose even if they aren't fully sealed. I've not tried the search but local bearing supply is probably best bet.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

I got mine at Woodcraft, and it's 7/16 also. Pretty much standard.

Can you do with a spacer and rub somewhere else above or below? Most of the time that's possible.

Reply to
George

Why don't you just have a machinist make you one? max

Reply to
max

Actually, if you note the request (as opposed to the article title) you'll see he wants a ball bearing to serve, not just a simple rub collar...

Not many machinists are going to want to make a ball bearing from scratch and you're not going to want to pay for it if they do... :)

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Not this time. I want to replace a 1/4" spacer in a cope-and-stile cutter set with a ball-bearing rub collar. Doesn't look like that's gonna happen, though.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Are you volunteering to fund this effort?

Reply to
Doug Miller

I have made these things using a smaller bearing and then either Delron, aluminum or steel to the required size. max

Reply to
max

Now, I'm a machinist, and I think I'm a pretty good one and I've made a lot of off the wall stuff over the years, but I've never seen a shop that was set up to make bearing sets in any quantity less than a half million at a time.

That single bearing set, made from scratch and only one or two of them, is gonna cost in the $2K range.

Reply to
The Davenport's

I am not suggesting you make the bearing. I had some precision bearings that were the correct size for a spindle. I think they were 3/16 high (thick). I turned a rub collar for the correct outer diameter and then bored the inside to fit the bearing. As I remember the bearings cost $25 each, but they did the job. max

Reply to
max

But where you gonna' find a 3/4" bore, 1/4" thick bearing to start from, irrespective of OD?

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

If you can find one for Doug that thickness that has a 3/4" bore, I'm sure he (and several others including me) would be glad to know where that beastie could be found...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

That's all? Man, you work cheap! :)

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

| max wrote: || || I am not suggesting you make the bearing. I had some precision || bearings that were the correct size for a spindle. I think they || were 3/16 high (thick). I turned a rub collar for the correct || outer diameter and then bored the inside to fit the bearing. As I || remember the bearings cost $25 each, but they did the job. | ... | | If you can find one for Doug that thickness that has a 3/4" bore, | I'm sure he (and several others including me) would be glad to know | where that beastie could be found...

I DAGS and found

(mind the wrap).

HTH

Morris Dovey

Thanks, Morris -- I'll contact the company tomorrow and see if it's suitable for use in a shaper (10K rpm and lotsa dust and shavings). If so, looks like it might be just what I need.

Mmmm... just thought of one more thing I'd better check on: the OD of my spindle. It's nominally 3/4". Unless it's actually a few thou undersize, or the bearing ID is a few thou oversize, this might turn out to be a press fit. Not exactly desirable from my POV. :-)

Reply to
Doug Miller

But notice it's an open bearing which was what I mentioned earlier--by the time you cut the it down enough to get a 1/4" thickness including the dust seals, there isn't much room left for ball diameter. I don't think this would last long for the application of a shaper collar as there's no way to provide lubrication nor protect it from dust/dirt...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

I don't think so because it's totally unshielded--designed to run in an oil or grease bath.

I've not measured the spindles either, but I they do make them slightly undersized and cutters, etc., about nominal--but you're right to measure for sure. Might just want to mic the bore of your cutters/other spacers, too, just to see what the play actually is. Ashamed to say it, but after nearly 30 years, I don't know that number. :(

Reply to
Duane Bozarth