hello all!

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 04:18:05 GMT, Michael Baglio scribbled

Ackshally, Michael, brown bears are grizzlies. The other kind of bear is the American Black Bear. BTW, the other identifying characteristic of grizzly scat is that it smells like pepper (capsicum, Groggy).

Luigi Who really has had a close encounter with a grizzly. Replace "no" with "yk" for real email address

Reply to
Luigi Zanasi

Absolutely right about the types of bears. Thank you for sharing, and no, I don't want to know how you know this. Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
dave

LMAO!

Reply to
Silvan

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 21:53:24 -0800, Luigi Zanasi brought forth from the murky depths:

Whew! I'm glad you said "smelled" there. =:0

This reminds me of the old bear escape story.

My buddy and I were wandering through the woods when a huge Grizzly bear came running up at us.

My buddy was a macho fool and thought he could scare the bear, so when it stood up on its two hind legs, raised its paws, and growled at him, my buddy did the same thing toward the bear. It immediately swatted his head off and turned toward me.

Meanwhile, I had been running down the path. The large Griz, who moved about 3 times faster than I could, soon caught up and raised his front paws as he growled in my ear. I darted off to one side and the bear went skidding on past.

I ran the other way and the bear soon caught up with me again. As he raised his paws and growled loudly, I darted off to the other side and the bear went skidding on past.

We repeated this a third time before the bear tired of me, ate my buddy, and walked off into the forest. And that's how I lived through all that.

"Why did the bear go skidding on past me every time I ran sideways?" you ask. Well, he got so close that I could smell his breath (the berries and fish he had eaten before he got to think of me as a meal) as he growled at me. That literally scared the shit out of me...

...and the bear went skidding on past.

========================================================== Save the +

Endangered SKEETS! + Web Application Programming ==========================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Did I tell you the one about the rooster and a 4 legged bovine,forget it. It's just your basic c*ck and Bull story anyway.

Reply to
Dan Parrell

Well, seems like he's done made a buddy.

Reply to
Jerry Gilreath

jo4hn, I really thought you was from Hawaii. I spent several years there and picked up the native tongue. Sorry if I offended you when you replied to my post a couple weeks ago.

Reply to
Jerry Gilreath

Damn. Did I misspell Black _again?_ ;>

M-

Reply to
Michael Baglio

Reply to
Dan Parrell

It's been known to happen. Almost gives me faith in humanity. Merry Xmas all, Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
dave

There are several varieties of brown bear. The formal Latin for the brown bear is "Ursus Arctos". Both the "Kodiak" and "Grizzly" are 'forms' of the brown bear, and are "sometimes considered separate species" -- Ursus Middendorffi, and Ursus Horribilis, respectively.

Calling them separate "breeds" (about as different as a cocker spaniel and a springer spaniel) wouldn't be far off the mark.

The North American Black Bear (Ursus Americanus) is a separate, albeit closely related, species. Similar to a coyote vs. a dog.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 02:45:51 +0000, snipped-for-privacy@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) scribbled

You're right about brown bears, and the European version is also the same species.

Not that closely related. Even though coyotes (Canis latrans), wolves (C. lupus) and dogs (C. familiaris) are considered different species, they can and do interbreed when they are not busy eating each other. Grizzlies and Black bears do not, and AFAIK, cannot.

Luigi Whose friends are currently keeping their dogs indoors lest they end up as lunch for a wolf pack that is currently hanging out around Whitehorse. Replace "no" with "yk" for real email address

Reply to
Luigi Zanasi

Bob Can you be more specific ? It's an almost infinite universe the you are on the Third Rock from which Sun. There are many suns.

Reply to
dteckie

Reply to
jo4hn