Heating a shop

You suck!

Enough already!

You are a mean person!

I have to pay large for a week of thawing out in Punta Cana DR for the missus ("aren't you bringing the laptop so you can keep up on the Wreck, hunnyieee?") and I..... and then I have to raise this stupid little flag so the topless girl can bring me another drink.....

I digress..

Enjoy your thirty-fricking-three-frickin degrees!

0¿0

Rob

Reply to
Robatoy

If you don't mind my asking...what do you pay for a KW/hr there?

This shop is very well insulated AND I strung my Lektrikkul cables via a few palm trees to the house. Maybe another 50 bucks? If that?

I hate this crap, Luigi. Snow is snow. But this slush is breaking me down. Sarniapolis, across the river from Port Huron MI

Rome, Italy, 41°54'N Sarnia, Ontario 42°59'N You're at 60° N....Need I say more? You going to be getting daylight soon, huh?

0¿0

Rob

Reply to
Robatoy

The reason for not using them in an attached garage is because of potential fumes from a car leaking gas, etc. Detached is not a problme. Woodshops are not a problem, but care with solvents must be exercise, of course.

That does not mean it never happened.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

It's really expensive at 10.5 cents per kWh. (Watch the Merkins groan)

Heh, heh! No slush here. But we did have a record snowfall in January & it keeps going. I've neve seen so much snow since I've been here. I'm getting tired of shoveling.

That is the subtropical part of Ontario. Don't you have southern trees like pin oaks, honey locusts, sassafras, growing in your part of the world.

Just a little more than that: 46' more, which is about 1/2 to 1 degree north of Oslo, Stockholm & Helsinki.

Ackshally, we get 4 hours of daylight or so in the depth of winter. But it's mostly sunny! Hardly any of the greay shit you probably get. Environment Canada even classifies Whitehorse among the cities in Canada with the most comfortable climate.

Luigi Zanasi

Rob I use one of those AND a baseboard unit. I keep the temp low (45-50) when I'm not in the shop and the 4800 watts can heat the space in a hurry. I use the baseboard unit to maintain the temp. The baseboard is just to slow when you want heat in a hurry.

I have a 10 foot ceiling so installed a fan to push the heat down as well.

Reply to
David

on 2/14/2005 11:10 AM David said the following:

Thanks to all who provided suggestions. After a bit of research I've opted for a unit specifically made for shop/garage use. The Dayton G73 heater is a 240/220V electric 5000w unit. It "seems" ideal for my needs.

The description claims four heat levels (but I suspect that may be two levels at either 240v or 220v) Regardless, that capability plus a built-in thermostat with a range of 25-85 degrees should do the trick as the wattage is approximately 40% greater what I should need for that shop.

Nice too that it has a delayed fan setting so that once the element is turned off the fan continues until it cools down and is starting to blow cool air.

Unit should be delivered in the next couple days. I spent yesterday with hopefully my second to last day with the Kero-Sun unit installing the 30a circuit that it needs.

I'll let you all know what I think of it once I get it installed.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused
[after some selective snipperization, we eded up with:]

Hey, that's pretty good, eh? They want to do a variable rate thing here in Ontario. The first xxx KWh for cheap, then it goes up as usage goes up. I have no idea where the numbers are going to land. I know I'm screwed. This monitor alone will take me over whatever threshold they set.

0.1 degree C....snow in the morning, rain in the afternoon, ohhh gooody.

My neighbour gets more snow than I do. . . . . His lot is bigger.

Reply to
Robatoy

You know what? That just may be the answer I have been looking for. I posted, some time back a request for an automatic selector switch so that my compressor wouldn't start if my heater was running. But a 1500 watt baseboard heater won't give me any grief. I have enough for that AND the compressor. And no fan.... And as long as I set the thermostats in such a way that the 4800 watt unit doesn't come on, except in the morning...

There it was... hiding in plain sight...

Thanks, David!

no wonder I keep coming back here...

0¿0

Rob