Hearing protection with biscuit jointer

I think he concluded this when the corn came out.

Reply to
John Sellers

I wear ear protection using a headphones type that hangs overhead on a wire and easy to reach and replace. There was a time I wasn't wearing it because I'd lay it down someone and forget where I put it. Watch the spelling of joiner, "jointer" is a different tool used to obtain a straight edge.

Reply to
Phisherman

Do you have city sewers?

Bass has been known to travel through sewer systems. Occasionally, a section of pipe will even end up with just the right dimensions to amplify it.

I worked on a job where a nightclub was killing a residential area with bass. Correcting it required the installation of some jogs in the home feeds to detune it.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .
[snip] . My damned ears have ringing ever since.

And that's worse than just some reduction in hearing. Soon as you're done making noise you take off the hearing protection because the inferno ringing starts to drive you nuts with out the normal background noise to cover it up some. DAMHIKT

John, in Minnesota

Reply to
John

I find my pc 557 a lot quieter than the old Makita I was using. With the Makita I nearly always used hearing protection, with the pc - about 75% of the time. A couple slots into soft material - no, the rest of the time - yes. What I find interesting is that there in no mention of dust masks. I find that cutting MDF and particle cores can kick up a lot of fine dust that I don't like to breath in. Does any body use dust collection with their biscuit cutters?

Cheers, jeffo

Reply to
Jeffo

Not me, buddy... I guess I couldn't hack it in a rock band. My only amp is a little Roland Jazz Chorus-77 (solid state, very clean, twin 8" woofers) and mine is set at about 3 now. Sometimes even 3 is too loud.

I guess I'm just a pussy.

Not that it matters, since I'm the only audience I ever have, and I sound great to me just like I am.

Well, sort of. Depends on how drunk I am how good I sound. :)

Reply to
Silvan

(Psssst. I even where mine when hand planing. Sometimes that shick shick shick noise gets to be too loud for my tender widdle wuss ears.)

Reply to
Silvan

Yup. Every time. Hearing protection? Some time.

Reply to
Jerry Gilreath

Unless you are Nigel Tufnel.

ObWoodDorking: Peltor.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

I'm not excited about it at all. I thought I was pretty clear on that point. I think you're nuts, but they ain't my ears, so I don't care what you want to do.

When I ride with crazy people who don't use seatbelts, I always fish the thing out of all the McDonald's bags and put it on. I don't try to tell them to put *theirs* on. Not my problem.

To take a different side, my guard hasn't been anywhere near my saw in years, and I'm usually too lazy to put the splitter back on until I see a board start to crawl up, or a kerf wanting to close. That ought to give you a chance to send a return flame my way. :)

You don't have my table saw. :)

Seriously, the start up noise on that thing is not unlike a gunshot.

Reply to
Silvan

Oh, I missed that bit.

Me too. I guess it depends on what the pin drops onto though. It'd have to be really quiet for me to hear it landing in a big wad of poly fill, say.

I can hear *spiders* crawling up the wall. (They hafta be big spiders, granted. One reason I hate wolf spider so much is because of how creepy they sound. Especially when they crawl over plastic. Shudder.)

(And no, I'm not hearing invisible spiders. :)

Reply to
Silvan

Me too again. I've always been pretty good about the ears, but lazy about the eyes. I bought some extra glasses and have ear/eye stations close to everything. No excuses.

I really deserve an ass chewing for all the things I've done without eye protection, in truth. I'd better hope I never have to have an MRI.

Reply to
Silvan

That bar must have had some big juice. I'd expect most localities would just tell them to turn the damn thing down, lest they have their permits revoked and be rezoned into a daycare center. :)

Reply to
Silvan

Reply to
George M. Kazaka

Yep, both my grandfathers made the same argument regarding running a tractor without hearing protection. Both of them wound up wearing hearing aids by the time they were in their 70's, one of them couldn't hear very well even then. My dad needed hearing aids in his late 60's, same source. I have a certain amount of high frequency loss due again to the same source -- have you actually had your hearing checked or are you like grandfather #2 who thought he could hear just fine, people just didn't talk loud enough?

Fact of the matter is that with hearing protection, you aren't giving up situational awareness, you still hear the machinery and are more likely to hear a machine problem.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Silvan notes:

Yeah. But some won't bother with such minor stuff. After all, the bar employs people. I think that's what they are though I'm not prepared to debate the "yes" side of the issue.

Got a doozy just opened up 4 blocks from here in an old bakery. I really think I prefer the aroma of fresh bread at 2 a.m.

Charlie Self

Charlie Self

On a side note, it could be YOUR problem.

Unbelted passengers can become projectiles in a crash, hitting the back of your seat or hitting you from the side, depending on the impact.

I knew someone who was killed by an unbelted rear seat adult, driven forward by the impact, crushing the guy I knew.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

It really wasn't loud, falling well within the established noise guidelines,as measured by contractor after contractor. The plumbing made it loud for the homeowners.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

Yup!

An auto-switched Shop Vac, creating yet another hearing assault.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

Which is why I have a firm rule: my car doesn't roll until everybody is buckled in. People who object to that can find a ride somewhere else.

Doug Miller