HDPE plastic for a shaper fence

Need to replace the fence halves on my PM shaper. Considering using some 1" thick HDPE plastic instead of MDF or a typical hardwood. My question is if the plastic will be "stiff" enough so as to not flex in the unsupported end sections. Unlike a router table fence that supports the face material along its entire length. A typical shaper fence only supports about 3/4 of the face length. Hopefully my question is clear enough to understand. Thanks jsawduste

Reply to
JPEracing

If I'm reading this right, the work will be supported by some percentage of the fence, including the material on both sides of the bit. I wouldn't worry about the ends of the fences, except those that are closest to the bit.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

When you get pricing on 1" HDPE, better be sitting down.

Let me suggest an alternate.

Build a fence from 13 ply (3/4") cabinet ply, then cover with a piece of

1/4" UHMWPE, not HDPE, by attaching with C'Sunk 1/4-20 flat head bolts.

I'd use S/S, but that's all I work with so it is easy for me.

HTH

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

If it were my shaper, I think I'd use wooden fence sections with HDPE faces - to provide the stiffness of wood in combination with the "lubricity" of the HDPE.

Reply to
Morris Dovey

Nope, unsupported it WILL flex

John

Reply to
John Crea

get an Aigner or an Elbe,much safer and last for years Russell

Reply to
Russell