HDPE / phenolic cheap substitute

I want to place two 4 foot LED slim lights in my long narrow cold room - top corner, 1 per side, staggered -

- a couple "plastic" 45 degree mounting blocks for each light would allow them to be angled out from the top corner and provide a bit of a thermal / moisture break from the concrete. I'm trying to avoid wood - the cold room can get pretty damp at times and I don't want to promote mold/mildew. I'm thinking a piece 4 " square x 1.5 " thick would be cut in half diagonally to make 2 mounts. Buying thick HDPE or phenolic is a bit pricy for this job - any suggestions for a similar - but cheaper - product ? Even re-purposing a common cheap item ... ? Treated wood might be my final solution - but I thought I'd pick your brains first. John T.

Reply to
hubops

Trex? cut and laminated with construction glue? Or get a friend with a

3D printer? Or contact Fusion Thetics in Fergus Ontario for a "sample" of their product. Or check with Plasticlumberyard.com in the 610 area code (Pa)
Reply to
Clare Snyder

What about vinyl?

Under $10 should get you all the material you need:

DerbyDad03

Thanks. Gives a whole new meaning to plastic wood ! :-)

John T.

Reply to
hubops

Thanks - I never thought of that. John T.

Reply to
hubops

That might not be the best cement for PVC "boards" but there are a few good PVC adhesives available.

I've used Super Glue but it takes a good 10 seconds to bond enough to stay together. Coarse pocket screws would work for edge gluing or buy wider planks.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I'll check out Lowes / HD to see if they have any cut-offs - the 1 x 3 1/2 comes in 10 ft. lengths and would cost ~ $ 35.

.. an 1 foot piece would almost do.

John T.

Reply to
hubops

My local Home Depot has 3/4 x 2.5 x 8 ft PVC trim boards for 11 bucks. One of those, cut it up, glue a couple of pieces together to get the thickness might do the job.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Thanks - someone else mentioned that stuff - I'll check out the Lowes/Home Depot/Home Hardware tomorrow. It comes in full 1 inch thickness also. John T.

Reply to
hubops

I think I've got some chunks of HDPE or Nylon up at the farm in Salem/Alma area

Reply to
Clare Snyder

That's likely $33 in Canada - - - -

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Watch out...it makes a mess when cutting and routing. Little pieces of staticky white stuff everywhere.

I really like working with it though.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

On Ebay

block of UHMW 8" x 2.25" x 2.25" $22.56 (inludes shipping)

block of UHMW 5" x 3" x 1" $6.95 (inludes shipping)

I used a piece of maybe 1/2" thick UHMW to mount a rain gauge above the roof on a piece of pipe. Been there a couple of years so should work fine in your slightly damp environment.

Thanks for your efforts - unforunately, by the time I convert currency and pay shipping to Canada - it would probably cost me closer to $ 40. ... about what I'll pay for the two 4 foot LED light fixtures. John T.

Reply to
hubops

Metal corner brackets?

Reinforcement/dp/B07WX6CGDF

-BR

Reply to
Brewster

A wood bracket painted with exterior stain ought to last decades indoors.

Reply to
whit3rd

How about I check to see what I have - mabee you buy me that breakfast at Schmitsville and I bring you some HDPE?

Reply to
Clare Snyder

The breakfast is good - my treat - any time - but don't go to any trouble for the HDPE - - much thanks - but - I found a clearance item at Home Depot today that might work .. $ 5. worth of maybe ..

John T.

Reply to
hubops

Yep - I'm probably being too fussy .. ... just thought there might be a perfect cheap alternative .. John T.

Reply to
hubops

They look pertty tiny - - -

Reply to