Fastening baseboard to cement step

I need to attach a 30-inch length of baseboard to a cement step. Two choice s come to mind ? construction adhesive or CA glue. It will be diff icult to apply pressure to the board while the construction adhesive sets u p. Any other ideas?

Reply to
Gramps' shop

"I need to attach a 30-inch length of baseboard to a cement step. Two choices come to mind ? construction adhesive or CA glue. It will be difficult to apply pressure to the board while the construction adhesive sets up. Any other ideas?"

Sand bags and wedges with construction adhesive, CA will shear easily.

Reply to
Markem

ces come to mind ? construction adhesive or CA glue. It will be di fficult to apply pressure to the board while the construction adhesive sets up. Any other ideas?

Construction adhesive will cure just fine without pressure, OR you could co nsider polyurethane glues (Gorilla Glue) that foam up while curing. Does the cement item have any moisture exposure? That can be a problem with glue, but drilled holes and some pla stic screw-anchor inserts will hold well enough.

Holding such a board, I've had good results from sitting a heavy object nea rby and stuffiing a wedge in the gap.

Reply to
whit3rd

Do you have access to the sides of the step? If so, rig up something so you can clamp a caul that spans the face of the step holding the baseboard in place.

Is the baseboard going to be painted? Counter-sunk TapCons or screws into anchors then fill before painting.

I've never tried hot glue on concrete, might work. Just enough in a few spo ts in between your construction adhesive.

Heavy objects in front, a caul and some wedges.

2 or 3 grand-kids taking turns holding it in place. ;-)
Reply to
DerbyDad03

"Gramps' shop" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

A coupla brads until the glue dries.

5 minute epoxy?

I'd probably use liquid nails Power Grab adhesive. I haven't used it but remember the commercials saying basically it was designed for such an application.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Brads into concrete? Hilti brads? :-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

For the most part, you don't need to apply pressure with many construction adhesives.

FWIW many construction adhesives tend to hold immediately providing you do not have any forces resisting holding the trim in place.

Caulk with construction adhesive, place the trim, and let it set. Maybe use masking tape to wrap around the end of the step.

Reply to
Leon

Sure, Norm. ;-)

Reply to