hazmat team needed

God help me, I spilled a quart of epoxy resin on some of my plastic tools in the truck. Laquer thinner will eat up the plastic, so I'm up for suggestions as to handling the spill.

Reply to
BUB 209

I've thinned epoxy with alcohol to make a brushable finishing resin. Try some on a small area and see how it works removing the resin spill.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

Hi, Got any Xylene? It's what I use for most epoxy-related stuff. Lewis

Reply to
Lewis

call your insurance agent and tell him you need replacement tools??

Reply to
mac davis

Vinegar will clean uncatalyzed resin. So will denatured alcohol.

Reply to
mark

if it's just the resin and not the mixed two part adhesive soap and water should do it.

Reply to
bridger

Great, I'll try it before anything else. That toluene smells like a bad dream, though I appreciate the suggestion.

Reply to
BUB 209

White vinegar. Cheap, nontoxic (a little smelly) and works great!

Reply to
ddinc

Thanks, it did a great job, especially on my Bosch jig saw case, which had a quarter inch thick layer of the stuff on it. I put the scraped-up epoxy in a strainer over a coffee can, let's see if it runs through that just like it ran out of the tub in the truck.

Reply to
BUB 209

Hints from HeloisewRecster

Add some baking soda to the white vinegar for some jobs. White vinegar also works well to freshen up those smelly drains. Pour a cup of baking soda down first, then follow with white vinegar. Lots of uses for this mixture ... just be careful of the foaming action, and DON'T use it with Clorox, or any chlorine bleach.

Reply to
Swingman

Don't mix chlorine and vinegar? Never heard that. Chlorine and ammonia is well known, but I never heard of any problem with white vinegar.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Well, you've heard it now. Trust me, you will not like what it does to your nose if you mix the two.

DAMHIK. We used a vinegar/chlorine mix to disinfect our water wells when I was a kid (vinegar _followed_ by chlorine, not mixed together) ... and guess who was playing the mad scientist at the time.

Reply to
Swingman

don't mix chlorine bleach with any Oxidizing agent, or you get cl2 gas, the only thing you you can really safely mix with chlorine bleach is dish soap like joy, I don't know how the various additive react with it, but Joy is safe

Reply to
Richard Clements