Have a small kitchen 12L X 8W Want an Island (rolling) I need help! How big??? 24w"X 42l"? 28"X38?

It'll be used both for food prep and for storage for pots and pans. So far I'm looking at 2 drawers with 3 cabinet doors. I got the wheels from grizzly the other day. 4-4" (500lb) So I'm part of the way there. I also want to use a granite top. So far I was looking at making a 1/2 inch plywood box with Maple face 1X2's and 1X3's Glued running vertically all the way around!

the more I look at the harder it is to decide.

Reply to
My M-14

".HMFIC@1369" wrote in news:7Qcae.46$jS6.6@trndny06:

If I were making a rolling island, with that much weight up high, I'd beef up the structure cosiderably from what you describe. Cross bracing, with real joinery, too.

But that's just me. I hate doing things over again, while my wife says "I told you so."

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

...and if it tipped over, and if someone was in the way...

Reply to
cerskine

Now the wife wants sliding glass doors below the drawers on front and across the whole back (acid etched glass with 3 inch aluminum frame. I think now I'll use 1X3's and make a supporting subrame clad with 1/2 plywood and then the 1 inch solid maple on the exterior.

I'll use a lot of those metal framing plates just to shore things up! If anything I go for over kill, and it'll cost 10K and wiegh in at 4 tons. Then I'll have to add an engine to move it!

Thanks..... Joe

Reply to
My M-14

squash!!!!

With the wheels I have 4 inch dia and 2 inches across, plus with all of the cast Iron Le Creuset pots(8) an elephant wouldn't be able to knock it over!

Reply to
My M-14

I renovated our 3 x 6 (fixed) island a little over a year ago. Aside from the cosmetics (raised panels on sides & front & granite top), the best thing was to add trays on 100 lb full extension slides to hold the pots & pans. As you get older, you tire of getting down on the floor to find that stockpot in the back of the cabinet.

Lou

Reply to
loutent

Oh the bearing slides! Most certainly. I had a protruding Island to the right of the stove and put in 4 very large drawers for all the heavy pots and pans... The bearing slides worked like a charm!

Joe

Reply to
My M-14

Build a mock-up out of whatever scraps you have around the shop (cardboard or lauan is fine). Once you set the three dimensional object in your kitchen it will be immediately obvious whether it is too big or too small. (A half hour spent mocking up a peninsula in our kitchen averted a multi-thousand dollar mistake-- went with a much smaller island instead. It looked fine on paper, but was awful in reality.)

Roger

Reply to
Roger