Hard finish

I am carving a piece of basswood to be used as a template for pantograph reproducing. The stylus has a pointed but fairly blunt end. What is the hardest finish I can attain on my carving? Either by spray or brush. Thank you------------George

Reply to
George G

Research water based finishes. They use them on basketball courts, bowling alley lanes, etc.. It is VERY hard. I can't remeber whatthe name is of the one I used-Resistane or Hydrocote or ???

Reply to
Lawrence A. Ramsey

I suggest a polyester resin, which you can buy conveniently as "dry rot wood hardening resin" from Home Depot et al.

Epoxy would do it, but you'd need to work out a thinned formulation that would soak in.

Andy Dingley

Reply to
Bay Area Dave