Hand Saw care and maintenance

I sharpened my handsaw Tuesday, and now it cuts through the wood rather than just pulling the wood grain until it breaks. What a difference for an couple hours work!

I know that's raw metal my file's unearthed. What can I do to keep the cutting edges in good shape in the future?

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

If you have filed your own handsaw you hardly need any further advice. I put a thin coat of oil on my saws before I put them into a homeade cardboard sheath. I keep them in a tool box being sure no other tools are resting on them. If it gets dull with use then you can re-sharpen many times.

Reply to
lwhaley

I've found that using blade guards help. I make my own out of any hardwood scrap that I have at the moment. A while back one of the younger guys that does straight finish was complaining that his rasp gets dull so quickly. I told him mine last about 3 months of daily use and he could not believe it. At the same time, I noted that his rasp was in one of the big pockets of his apron along with a Swanson and some 8d nails. While that might be the peak of bone headery, we sometimes don't realize these things on our own.

Reply to
Joe Bemier