table saw obsolescence

firmware and lawsuits
the perception of the danger of tables saws the statistics of tables saw injuries more and more safety features while insurance and liability costs can only go up
seems to lead to the conclusion that they are on the way out fewer and fewer people want to use them
i will always have one i think but
cnc is moving pretty fast and now there are other technologies like water jets and ultrasonic cutting
how long until table saws just stop becoming an integral part of the shop
i give it 15 years or less as cnc moves into the affordable range due to market saturation and more used machines and cad and cam allowing for more streamlined manufacturing of the parts for cnc
consolidation will be first and we see that already then there will be fewer models available then there will be fewer brands then it will become a niche then the prices will rise then alternatives will look even better
On Wed, 15 Feb 2017 16:07:50 -0800, Electric Comet

I don't expect to see the table saw obsolete in my lifetime - but I could be wrong. I could live past 100.
On Wed, 15 Feb 2017 20:15:52 -0500 snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

there is a trend in the direction
for a wood shop with employees a cnc would look really good
cnc lowers the chance of injury dramatically
shop injuries are tramatic experience for everyone not just the injured employee
On Monday, February 20, 2017 at 4:41:14 PM UTC-5, Electric Comet wrote:

If someone told me 10 years ago there would be driverless cars on the highway, it would have been met with total disbelief on my part...
On Mon, 20 Feb 2017 15:23:13 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I highly doubt that I'll ever own a "driverless car" but there is about 100x the chance that I will (own a driverless car) than a CNC that would replace my table saw. Not going to happen.
snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote in

I've got all these neat power saws in my shop, but last night I choose the manual one. New tools probably won't replace the old ones, they'll be added to the arsenal so we can choose the right one for the job.
I bet the power saws were sold as replacing manual saws when they first came out.
Puckdropper
On 21 Feb 2017 02:09:09 GMT, Puckdropper

No doubt but I don't see your point. Are you saying that you think that a CNC machine will displace the table saw? In our lifetimes?
snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote in

CNC machines will supplement the table saw. They'll offer another way to make the same cuts, a unique way to make different cuts, and won't be able to make come of the other cuts a TS can do.
Puckdropper
On 21 Feb 2017 02:44:18 GMT, Puckdropper

Not buying it. Not a rotary tool CNC machine, anyway, and not in a home shop.
snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote in

Ok.
I did some tests with finger joints on my CNC router and they turned out quite nicely. I just got distracted with other problems before I finished the case I was building. In that case, I used the TS to cut the wood to size, planer to give it a decent finish and parallel edges, and CNC router to do the end cuts.
I may have been better off cutting the entire piece on the CNC, but the important part was the finger joints.
Puckdropper
On 21 Feb 2017 04:11:54 GMT, Puckdropper

And with the right jig, you could have made the finger joints on the table saw just as well. Would have taken a bit longer though - and there are fancy box joints that would be almost impossible to do on the table saw - and the CNC doing the job of the planer would have been PAINFULLY slow!!
On 2/20/2017 10:11 PM, Puckdropper wrote:

I am assuming a router type CNC. How do you square the bottoms of the finger joints? Do you stand the pieces up on end?

I used a 3mm mortising chisel to square things up. There's no room to stand the piece up, my mill* only has 5" or so Z-axis movement.
I guess I could program the mill to approximate a 1/8" radius cut on the side of the finger joints, but at the time it wasn't important. I just spent a few bucks on a chisel and got the work done.
*I said router before, but it's really a mill.
Puckdropper
On 2/21/2017 11:21 AM, Puckdropper wrote:

I see...a little clean up work. ;~)

Don't be a fool. The throughput would be pathetic.
On Wed, 15 Feb 2017 16:07:50 -0800, Electric Comet

Now I know you're nuts. ...and a wimp.
On Wed, 15 Feb 2017 22:12:33 -0500, krw wrote:

Hello pot, meet kettle.
--
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 15:01:23 +0000 (UTC), Trenbidia

Oh, my. Another sockpuppet unearthed.
On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 12:04:33 -0500, krw wrote:

Yep - not me. Note the lack of signature line in his/her post.
--
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 17:24:04 +0000 (UTC), Trenbidia

Yes, you. Idiot.