Hand Plane Comparison: Stanley vs. Veritas

It's also a plane for rough work, and the standard blade is a skosh thin for the type of work to be performed. Thicker would be nice, so you could get rid of a bunch of chatter telegraphing to your elbow.

Reply to
George

AAvK

Oh boy, if you can keep him interested in turning at that age, I have no doubt he'll become exceptional. There's just something about learning at that age.

Excellent. Enjoy!

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 10:10:23 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@pmug.org (Glenna Rose) calmly ranted:

-snip-

I just picked up a use Consew 210 industrial sewing machine and am learning how to use it to create my glare guards. (After 5 shops turned down doing them for me, 3 after they made samples.) It is SO much easier to use than my $5 garage sale Universal (cast iron beastie like Mom's) which was easy enough to use.

I don't doubt that at all. Tools have a "feel" which you either like, adapt to, or love right away. It's not always evident upon picking up an object, either. Some feel awkward until they're in use, when they come into their own and pull you in. I felt that way about the little Stanley #60-1/2 low-angle block plane until I used it, and now it's one of my most-used tools on a daily basis.

Since battling Searz over their Crapsman warranties both in the late

70s (when I quit buying anything Searz) and just this month again (when an old Craftsman driver finally died), I've nothing good to say about them, so I won't even TRY to tell you how to love that one, Glenna. Instead, I'll say "Use the other one!" The subject is a can of worms for those of us who tried to make a living with their tools.

-- Save the Endangered ROAD NARROWS! -|-

Ban SUVs today! -|- Full Service Websites

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Yerk. I too know how to run one of those dad blasted things. I'd rather eat paint though. What little (verrrry little) sewing I need to do is best done by hand.

Reply to
Silvan

He's better at it than I am, truthfully. He has infinite reserves of patience, and he's very furtive with his cuts. He takes his time, and coaxes the shape out just oh so. While I tend to be less furtive, and more aggressive.

Reply to
Silvan

Silvan wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net:

Wow. I am a middle aged guy in pretty good shape, and when I tried to do it all with an old #4 it was a heavy duty workout. Just taking a 4/4 roughsawn board down to 3/4" is a lot of wood removal. Even face jointing a board with a lot of bow or twist in it is fair work. I did it that way for a while, and it sure made me appreciate a power jointer and planer.

It also made me appreciate the skill of the guys who can neander it really perfectly flat and square with nothing but a plane and a couple of winding sticks :-)

That's great. The only time I joint by hand anymore is when I've got a nice-grained board that's wider than my power jointer.

You bet! Only thing that matters more than the results is the enjoyment :-)

Reply to
Nate Perkins

"furtive" ... hhmmm ... just had to look that one up!

Main Entry: fur·tive Pronunciation: 'f&r-tiv Function: adjective Etymology: French or Latin; French furtif, from Latin furtivus, from furtum theft, from fur thief, from or akin to Greek phOr thief; akin to Greek pherein to carry -- more at BEAR

1 a : done by stealth : SURREPTITIOUS b : expressive of stealth: SLY 2 : obtained underhandedly : STOLEN synonym see SECRET

- fur·tive·ly adverb

- fur·tive·ness noun

666 audio.gif M1TE&.#EA$ `+`+,``,X`(?___P`````````````````````````````````` M`````````````````````"P`````$ `+```$(C#(&0"@F-HK>=Y>I8&6:'8D

3IT[I>K9=C)*R![L8J&4S.T4`.P`` ` end
Reply to
AAvK

Sorry you had such a hard time of it Nate. Just FYI, a #4 is a smoother, that's why it was so hard for you to remove the 1/4" of wood with it. A #6 or so would have been a better place to start and then, when you had it down to nearly the right thickness and flatness, switch down to a #5 and then a #4. Least that's the way I do it. As for jointing, it's simple. Clamp the two boards on top of each other on your shooting board and run a #6 or #7 on its side along the sandwiched sdes of the boards until the shaving is full length, doesn't take more than a couple minutes unless the baords are amazingly shaped. The sides will match up and be ready to glue.

It sounds as though you are missing some planes from your collection. But then, who isn't. %-)

Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
Dave in Fairfax

Hmm...well, "flat" is a kinda funny word. You should be able to get a board pretty flat with a scrub plane, where flat is defined as all the planing ridges lie in the same plane. It will not be smooth, but will be mostly flat. Make sense? The switch planes for real flat and smooth.

PK

Reply to
Paul Kierstead

Dave in Fairfax wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@fairfax.com:

Right, I know how to do it (and have done it with most of the planes you suggest). The fellow I was replying to was considering doing it all with a #4. Having tried it once, I was trying to caution him that (while possible) it is a lot of work.

Planes that help me mill lumber wouldn't be of much use to me, since I do most all lumber milling by machine. I admire the skill and persistence of the neanders, YMMV.

The planes I would find handy are:

- a Veritas medium shoulder plane (upgrade for my Record 077)

- a Lie-Nielsen low angle block (upgrade for my Stanley 60-1/2)

- a Veritas scraping plane (upgrade for my Stanley 80)

Reply to
Nate Perkins

I was doing skip planed S2S FWIW. Only the edges were rough. The faces were too ugly to use without attention, but most of the hogging work had been done already.

I finally bought a power jointer. Little bitty one. All I could afford money or room for, but I do appreciate it.

Yeah buddy! They didn't even get a 2000-grit mirror polish on their blades, or lap their plane soles on a piece of granite.

But you know, the side of that coin that people don't talk about much is that woodworking used to be too expensive for most people to enjoy. We romanticize about the days of yore, but how many colonists were out in their shops on weekends making furniture and whatnot? They were too busy worrying about food. Everybody used to have some skill, but most of it was strictly utilitarian. Furniture was a luxury most people couldn't afford, even while they were surrounded by walnut trees 5' in diameter. Or hell, CHESTNUT trees.

Well said.

Reply to
Silvan

The ol' Blood and Gore himself, I suspect.

Reply to
Silvan

I had this more in mind:

WordNet (r) 2.0 [wn]

furtive adj 1: marked by quiet and caution and secrecy; taking pains to avoid being observed;

Especially "quiet" and "caution."

Reply to
Silvan

The adjective "furtive" has 2 senses in WordNet.

  1. furtive, lurking, skulking, sneak(prenominal), sneaky, stealthy, surreptitious -- (marked by quiet and caution and secrecy; taking pains to avoid being observed; "a furtive manner"; "a lurking prowler"; "a sneak attack"; "stealthy footsteps"; "a surreptitious glance at his watch"; "someone skulking in the shadows")
  2. backstair, backstairs, furtive -- (secret and sly or sordid; "backstairs gossip"; "his low backstairs cunn 1.. [adj] secret and sly or sordid; "backstairs gossip"; "his low backstairs cunning"- A.L.Guerard; "backstairs intimacies"; "furtive behavior" 2.. [adj] marked by quiet and caution and secrecy; taking pains to avoid being observed; "a furtive manner"; "a lurking prowler"; "a sneak attack"; "stealthy footsteps"; "a surreptitious glance at his watch"; "someone skulking in the shadows" Definition: \Fur"tive\, a. [L. furtivus, fr. furtum theft, fr. fur thief, akin to ferre to bear: cf. F. furtif. See {Fertile}.] Stolen; obtained or characterized by stealth; sly; secret; stealthy; as, a furtive look. --Prior.

A hasty and furtive ceremony. --Hallam.

Related Terms: artful, back-door, backstairs, calculating, chiseling, clandestine, collusive, conspiratorial, covert, covinous, crafty, cunning, deceitful, doggo, false, falsehearted, feline, finagling, foxy, fraudulent, guileful, hidden, hidden out, hidlings, hole-and-corner, hugger-mugger, in ambush, in hiding, in the wings, indirect, insidious, lurking, on tiptoe, private, privy, prowling, pussyfoot, pussyfooted, quiet, scheming, secret, secretive, sharp, shifty, skulking, slinking, slinky, slippery, sly, sneaking, sneaky, stealing, stealthy, surreptitious, treacherous, trickish, tricky, two-faced, under cover, under the table, undercover, underground, underhand, underhanded, under-the-counter, under-the-table, unobtrusive, untrustworthy, waiting concealed, wily

Alex

Reply to
AAvK

Opps, my bad. I misunderstood. I like your list of wnated planes BTW, I was thinking #112 though. I'm not sure though, It'd save my thumbs, but it seems to me that there was a thread a while back about how hard it was to get a #112 style plane to work properly.

Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
Dave in Fairfax