Hammers

I need four.

16 Oz Estwing claw hammer with leather wrapped handle. 24 Oz Estwing Long, framer. 2 pound dead blow. I also have a 1 pound for assembly. Big ol' ballpeen , guessing at 3 lbs.

All of which I have owned forever.

Then I have a rubber mallet, a wooden mallet, 2 sledges, a triangular rotating head small hammer, a brass hammer.

THEN a HF grade 3 dollar one in case somebody wants to borrow a hammer.

Reply to
Robatoy

You can get Festools at the Dollar Store ??

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Probably not RSN.

-- Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort. -- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Check how well the tool is finished. A hammer with a roughly finished shank will raise blisters. Spend a couple of dollars more, or pick up a mill file on your way out to smooth down the edges.

Reply to
Father Haskell

Properly hardened the hammer transfers most of the striking energy to driving the nail. Improperly hardened they transfer less energy or fill you with splinters.

Reply to
beecrofter

Watch these guys use hammers of all kinds:

Swingman

Another nice thing about the worksite: no radio blaring.

-- ...in order that a man may be happy, it is necessary that he should not only be capable of his work, but a good judge of his work. -- John Ruskin

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Interesting comment about the radio. There was a nice rhythmic sound of them working.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Right, music unto itself. And no grating commercials.

-- ...in order that a man may be happy, it is necessary that he should not only be capable of his work, but a good judge of his work. -- John Ruskin

Reply to
Larry Jaques

You didn't notice the rhythm in the hammering? They don't need no stinkin' radio! ; ) Nice video!

Reply to
Bill

The hammer taps in the section on sheathing a roof reminded me of beating on horseshoes back when I was shoeing horses ... always tried to get a rhythm going with hammer on the anvil, with a couple of anvil hits spaced evenly to keep you eye/muscle memory sharp for that next hit on the metal that counts.

Reply to
Swingman