Yankee screwdrivers question

Anyone know about these automatic wonders? Is there a website that explains all the models and histories?

Reply to
AAvK

Don't have a clue about a website, but sold a bunch of them when I worked in a hardware store a long time ago.

You push, the screw driver bit turns via a helical path on the shaft, you pull back, the mechanism returns home via spring pressure.

Would turn clockwise, counter clockwise or stay locked depending on clutch position selection.

HTH

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Love 'em

Stanley are really badly made. Get a Spiralux instead. Don't buy antique ones, because the spirals do wear out with age.

The bigger the better. The Handyman with the 3" stroke was joke.

Racing a guy with a cordless screwdriver (although not auto-fed) my pump screwdriver could hang drywall sheets faster.

They make you appreciate crosshead screws instead of slots.

Lots of interesting news ways to injure your fingertips, and some of them leave really cool knurled scars.

If you just want one as a ratchet rather than a pump, then don't. Get a Snap-On hex bit driver instead (the long T handle is speediest). You'll need to sell the kids to pay for it, but it's worth it.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

But if you can find an old Goodell-Pratt that isn't worn out, grab it. I've got one and an old (50 years?) Craftsman. Both work great.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Yes there is but for the life a me I can't remember the key words (a man's name) to use to find it.

In the mean time I'd try the MWTCA (Midwest Tool Collector's Association) and see where that goes.

Also, some key words.

North Bros. Yankee (of course) Millers Falls (some of my favorites)

UA100, fond of Yankees for nearly his entire life...

Reply to
Unisaw A100

back, the mechanism returns home via spring

selection.

Thanks Lew! I was hoping it was that good. BTW, What does HTH mean?

Reply to
AAvK

Andy! You're back!

Would these happen to be Spiralux?

than that, do you know a site where I can find one?

Also other than that, during about over an hour I couldn't find even a picture of one, nor even a past or current eBay auction. I wuill keep a lookout going.

Reply to
AAvK

back, the mechanism returns home via spring

selection.

(H)ope (T)hat/This (H)elps

bkr

Reply to
bkr

FYI, FWIW, Two sites:

PC World article:

they say IMHO, RTFM :)

Phil

Reply to
GrayBeardPhil

Didn't see a link for them, nor do I have one I can find, but

may have one buried in among the many there. Joe

Reply to
Joe Gorman

Should have looked forst, got a few hits onalltheweb.com

sure if back issues are available
there are still people out there getting rid of them

Joe Gorman

George Langford, that's the man I was trying to remember. I sold him a breast drill a hunnert years ago. He's a pretty upright dude.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Here Andy, I found one small one on eBay: 6157622610 -it's over though.

Reply to
AAvK

them

Joe

Thanks for the links Joe. I checked George's site and not one Spiralux is listed, nor any other yankee type. So when it comes time to buy one, I will check again, then ask.

Reply to
AAvK

He gots an incredible website there too, I have gone through it several times before now. Currently no yankee types are listed there. Thanks UA100.

Reply to
AAvK