Half-blind dovetail jig

I am currently looking for a dovetail jig I can make them by hand but it takes me forever with lots of try and error, with a project with more than one drawer I would like to speed up the process a bit :-))

best ones seem to be the Leigh (D4R and D1600) but they are pricey.... and there is the PorterCable 4212 Dovetail Deluxe which seems pretty versatile and would suit my most of my needs I think....BUT I don't know how the half-blind dovetail looked.....I like when the tails are 2/3rd the thickness of the pins board.....is it possible with this jig?

TIA

Reply to
Racing.Mike

Toller

I recently bought the JET unit thru Amazon.

It was less than $40 after all the rebates.

Well built, makes repetitive dovetails; however, takes some time to set it up properly.

IMHO, good unit for a hobbyist, totally unacceptable for a cabinet shop.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Fixed-interval jigs are a touch, and I do mean just a touch limiting. You make your drawer sides in multiples of bit diameter. No biggie, until you go to make a flush drawer and find out the opening plus the traditional gap isn't an even multiple.

Get a reversible drawer joint bit for the router and go for hold not gold.

Reply to
George

There is a reason they are "pricey" ... they allow variable placement of your joinery, and they are sufficiently accurate for multiple part "production runs".

None of the less pricey ones, at least that I am aware of, will do both.

Reply to
Swingman

I have the Porter-Cable and am very happy with it, although you certainly don't have the versatility of the Leigh. Here is what your dovetails look like with the Porter cable setup:

haven't figured out how to change them by using different bits....not saying for sure it can't be done, though.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie M. 1958

well, I've decided to buy the Leigh D1600....lots of $$$ but I think I will be better served as I usually do my dovetail by hands.....with lots of stress and time :-)))

I did not find any other (meaning cheap) jig that can do half blind dovetail whith 2/3 1/3 ratio.

Reply to
Racing.Mike

My bet is that you'll be more than satisfied with what a Leigh will do for your productivity.

Reply to
Swingman

I think so too :-)

Reply to