Hake brush for shellac?

Has anyone used goat hair brushes for shellac? I used squirrel hair but larger sizes are expensive.

Reply to
BErney1014

Badger. Had me going, as a Hake is a fish, and to my knowledge, scales make a terrible brush.

Reply to
George

Reply to
Bannerstone

I use a rubber rather then a brush even if I am not trying to do a French polish

Reply to
Mike G

Either works, but synthetic is better. I use cheap Taklon brushes and keep one for each grade / colour of shellac. I don't clean them afterwards, just wipe them off and then re-soften them in meths before use. I have used expensive ones, but the cheapies are just as good - synthetic bristles don't shed. 3/4" filberts are about the best size overall.

I've not found a hake that worked with shellac. It's a nice idea, but the bristles were too soft.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Did you use short bristle Hake? I've never owned a goat hair brush but I noticed they have two styles, long and short. I was getting "glass" results from squirrel using a 1 lb cut. No brush marks on overlaps, I worked quickly. My feeling is the lighter the cut, the softer the brush can be. I'll get some taklon wash brushes and try them. Thanks

Reply to
BErney1014

Doesn't the alcohol eat the latex eventually?

Reply to
Silvan

No, it doesn't go on your *ass*.

Reply to
Silvan

Depends on how big an area needs shellacking

Reply to
Mike G