Hackberry

Bought some mahogany the other day to make a chest of drawers for my sons wedding present. R10 000 ($1540) a cube (I think that works out at about $4.40 a bdft - if my conversions are correct) They had just received 4 bundles of Hackberry (at R14 000 / $2150 a cube) Did some searching, found it is used for furniture but not much else about it. Anybody used it? What is it like to work with and finish?

BTW are the mahogany shavings any good for smoking meat?

Reply to
Phil Hansen

Tim, You can view finished hackberry on my web site. The URL is

Go to the cabinets page and there's a good example of an armoir built of lumber that we left dead piled for a while which will darken the grain. Jana

Reply to
Jana

Thanks, you have some nice stuff. The hackberry looks nothing like the raw timber in the bundels. I suppose the leaving for while before using brings out the colors. Pricy, but what isn't these days. BTW on a slow connection your site is a painful waiting experience. You see the lumber, flooring, moulding bar about 30 times before anything else start to appear.

Reply to
Phil Hansen

In the U.S., hackberry is often the "hardwood" when cheap furniture is advertised as "all hardwood". It's highly variable in texture, grain, and quality. I've seen some that's very nice. I've never seen any that's worth more than mahogany (assuming we're talking true mahogany, not luan or other variants).

Tropicals are risky for smoking; they can be allergenic.

For the ultimate FAQ on barbecue and smoking, see this:

luck!

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Craig

Dead piling helps darken the grain but this is northern grown which has more grain than southern grown anyway. I always run a sale on it for $1.60 a bf, s2s, kiln dried. Sorry, can't go much lower. I know the site is slow and would change it if I could.... if you have any ideas, my email works and I'm open to suggestions and appreciate your time. Thanks, Jana

Reply to
Jana

So, what kind of shipping costs would be incurred shipping to Tucson, AZ? Your prices look pretty good compared to what we are paying here.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Mark and or Juanita, Shipping depends on weight and the more you order, the better it averages out per bf. Wish you'd have written 3 months ago because we ran our own truck to Tucson for another delivery. If you can drop me an email with your zip code I'd be more than happy to run the numbers and show you where the best breaks are. If you know of other woodworkers in the area who may be interested in lumber or any other goods we carry, I'll combine orders or whatever it takes to get better prices on the shipping. Thanks, Jana

Reply to
Jana

Nice price. About a 1/5 of the price that it is here. Shipping to South Africa would kill it though. Not a web expert so sorry cannot help. It was just a comment. Our bandwidth sucks, and we pay by the minute so miss out on a lot when it comes to something slow. Cannot afford to wait.

Reply to
Phil Hansen

The stuff I got is African Mahogany (apparently not a true species) but being fairly local would expect to be a bit cheaper. All the imported stuff is a rediculous price.

Thanks, will procede with caution

Reply to
Phil Hansen