Grizzly or Ryobi Planer Recommendations?

I've been looking at planers and at the low end of the price range I found the Grizzly G0505 and the Ryobi AP1301. Does anyone have experience with either of these planers, and if so, how do you like them? Any problem with availability of replacement knives or other parts?

Thanks...

Chuck

Reply to
woodman

Never used either, I did have the Ryobi AP10, which is way I -NOW- have a Delwalt 12 inch. Too much snip

Reply to
Ralph E Lindberg

Have you considered the Ridgid planer? There's a few of us here that have one and we all seem to be generally happy with it if I can speak for the others.

Reply to
efgh

Actually, yes. I was just looking a a review of planers and the Ridgid was pretty highly rated and includes all of the extras that the others don't (extra set of knives, dust port, and stand). It looks like a pretty good value for $379.

Reply to
woodman

I just got a Rigid. Nice machine. If I remember to lock the cutterhead (a lot of low-end planers don' t have that feature) there's no snipe.

Jack

Reply to
jack

Ditto on the Ridgid. I've got one that's several years old and it continues to work well. As for Grizzly, well I own a bandsaw, jointer, and table saw from them. Generally happy with all of them. I haven't seen their planers so can't comment. I don't think I've ever even looked into a Ryobi tool. Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

From my viewpoint I would't touch another Ryobi tool. Having said that I do own one of the older 12-1/4 Ryobi planers that has been in my shop for 10 to

12 years. I love it.

However, Ryobi has a bad habit of leaving its customers high and dry with regard to parts and accessories. When I purchased the planer,replacement knives were about $14. Over a period of 6-8 years they crept up to the low $20 range, but still quite reasonable by comparison to similar machines. Then they disappeared. I found a local repair shop and some internet sources that would be glad to sell them in the $70 to $90 dollar range. With a 10+ year old machine that made me wonder if I could afford to operate it. Luckily, one of the folks who hang out here put me onto a set of 12-1/2 inch Delta blades that have an extra alighment hole but works fine.

Some will bad-mouth Grizzly service for various reasons. I suspect many have no real experience with them. From my experience I have had nothing but good experience with initial deliveries; and a few repair/replace experiences. If you call their service line they will probably provide names and phone numbers of local customers who have made similar purchases (at least they do with bigger machines). Customers consent to provide this information and it gives you a chance to talk to an owner or even touch the machine.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

I bought a Ryobi planer once. Lasted 2 (two) boards. (really 1 1/2)

I replaced it with a Ridgid.

Works great, no problems after several projects

Reply to
Magenta

Yeah - I didn't go into that in my post. Years ago Ryobi made pretty good power tools, lawn trimmers, etc. I think their lawn tools may be ok but the origninal Ryobi tool quality seems in doubt. My older planer is built like a tank and keeps on going. It gets a fair amount of use too.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

I've got the Ryobi AP1300. I've had it for about 2 years and have had no problems. Changing blades is easy, it's plenty powerful and I would buy it again. I'm not a big Ryobi fan otherwise, but read some good reviews on this planer before buying it. I also know that the AP10?? the original benchtop planer was a classic that many people liked, so I took the chance and have not regretted it. Good Luck! Doug

Reply to
Doug

woodman wrote: | I've been looking at planers and at the low end of the price range | I found the Grizzly G0505 and the Ryobi AP1301. Does anyone have | experience with either of these planers, and if so, how do you like | them? Any problem with availability of replacement knives or other | parts?

Not the G0505, but an earlier 12-1/2" Grizzly lunchbox planer (looks the same except handle on top instead of rollers). Works well - still using original knives and haven't needed any replacement parts.

My only complaints are that it's really noisy and that it has no provision for capturing shavings. I keep a snow shovel and a super large dust pan parked beside mine. It merits its own trash can.

I haven't tried the Ryobi - but given my experience with two other Ryobi products (a 10" benchtop circular saw and a benchtop drill press) I don't think I'd spend /my/ money on one of their planers.

Morris Dovey

Thanks for all of the responses. I've really been swayed by the responses and am now planning to buy the Ridgid planer.

Chuck

Reply to
woodman