Grizzly G0507 band saw, any opinions?

Seriously considering the Grizzly G0507 20" band saw, I like it's size, HP, resaw cap, table size, HD frame configuration,weight (600+ lbs) etc. My concerns are for the blade guide post and its supporting hardware seems like according to what pictures and parts breakdowns I can see on line is that there is only the lower hole in the steel frame and an upper guide plate (w/hole for the post)which is all of about 5/8" thick from what I can see. This just does not seem like adequate support for the amount of pressure that would be exerted against the blade/post during resawing. Maybe I'm wrong but looking at the beefier Lagunas, MiniMaxs and also the newer 21" Grizzly Industrial I feel like these are much sturdier designs. Is it that the strength of the steel frame is the most important and not the post assembly since its major function is to mount the guide blocks. One of the recent woodworking mags did a review of 18" imports and the Laguna LT16" and the Grizzly 18"HD which is identical in design to their 20" HD came out on top along with the Bridgewood 18" for least amount of forward blade deflection and also received their best value rating, of course the Laguna took top honors. Any input will be appreciated. Thanks, DV

Reply to
Seeker

Just an FYI. I had always used Delta and Powermatic bandsaws for the most part. I never new how anyone could even consider doing any resawing. Ever. I just figured they were better woodworkers than I.

The shop got a used 20" Mini Max. Incredible. After doing my first cut on this thing I ran right over, picked up a piece of QS White Oak and resawed it using the standard fence. I used thoise pieces as book-matched panels in a little shelf unit which I couldn't finish because I couldn't find (or wouldn't pay for) 1/4" QS ply.

I'd say a saw from a company that focuses on bandsaws, like Laguna or Mini Max is worth it. I love Giz and have some of their stuff but price does not always equal cost.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com