Got a Jointer?

Have you tapered legs with your jointer?

Leon

Yes, and many other pieces, too...

Reply to
dpb

Do you mean intentionally?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

You made me chuckle. Thanks. :-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Better than going to a plastic surgeon. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

:)

I don't recall if that is in the old Rockwell jointer manual addendum they used to supply with every machine or not...but it's not something new.

I first saw it in the shop practices manual we had in HS woodworking shop class -- I somehow managed to lose that text and I have wished more often than I can count that I could remember who/what for it to find a copy because it was pure gold in such techniques; most of which I've never seen anywhere since...

Reply to
dpb

I just want to know how/why you get your leg on the jointer? Clipping fingernails, I understand, but tapering your legs? I guess if you like the clean look...

Reply to
krw

I use my bench top belt sander to do my fingernails. In fact, I used it this afternoon. Note the flat section. Seriously. Did this today. Not intentionally, of course.

DerbyDad03

snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

What shaving cream is best to protect the cast iron top? Asking for a girlfriend who needs to shave her legs, of course.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Yes, I have heard of and or seen this before too, probably not as far back as shop class.

The only draw back that I see is doing this with a wood like oak, which often has a lot of grain changes. I would think if the grain was not pointing down or parallel to travel, you could end up with some nasty tear out. Much like a planer taking a deep cut.

Not much fun using a taper jig on a TS either but these days I use my track saw, kind of a no brainer simple. The saw and track do not know or care how you cut a straight line, parallel or tapering.

Reply to
Leon