Good way to cut this curve?

Oh ho, the old "if I don't get my toy I'll work you like a mule" ploy.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

First thinks first. as far as wood for a project is concerned, take your choice, both Lowes and Home Depot are in the garbage business.

If you can't find a decent supplier in San Diego, then you haven't gotten out from your computer, and looked around.

There are several.

If you can't find any, stop by Knight & Carver sometime and drool while you find out who they use for suppliers.

As a matter of info, Knight & Carver is a yacht builder who has been in San Diego for many years.

If you have to ask, like me, you can't afford, but they are still very nice folks.

HTH

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

All right, all right. Jeepers. Try to do something poorly, and everyone is on your case! ;-)

What would be a good wood for this job? It will be painted.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Where I come from, another name for Poplar is "Paint wood".

Easy to machine, takes paint well.

Just don't leave it unprotected, as in no paint.

HTH

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Reply to
Bullwinkle J. Moose

It does, it does -- thank you.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Reply to
Bullwinkle J. Moose

Actually, now that you ask... no. I guess, given that it's nothing more than ant shit and glue, it probably wouldn't really burn all that well.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

If you're set on painting it, then I'd go with the poplar. If you're not really decided on painting it and are considering a stained or oiled finish, then I'd go with the maple, or cherry or... if you really want to get lai.... ummmm,... impress the better half, then go with walnut and a nice oil rub. Any one of those alternatives will be much better than MDF.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

A little tip.

After you have formed the pieces with your router, install an 1/8" or even a

1/4", rounding over bit and break the sharp edges.

Not only will it look good, but the paint won't have to try to protect a sharp corner, which it can't for long.

HTH

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

The painting fits the '20's look we're after for the bathroom.

There will be some stained and topcoated bits of "real wood" in the bathroom -- a shelf, the drawer fronts and cabinet door front on the vanity are some kind of white plastic. Gotta replace those with wood. I'll asking all kinds of pesky questions when I start that phase of the project. Have to transfer the Euro hinges from the old white door to the new wood door . . . and they have to line up and work! Makes my head spin just to think of it.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

And a darn good thing, too. I measure twice and cut once. Still get it wrong. Sit in any chair I build ONLY after making sure your medical insurance is in order.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Gonna. Tnx.

Reply to