Good vendor experience

My entertainment center has doors on the side cabinets that are to be fitted with glassed-in doors. We wanted to use something other than clear glass in order to be able to obscure the contents of the cabinets (they are intended for storage, not display).

Several weeks ago, we went to Goldbaum Door and Window in Tucson to explore various options for these panels. They are fairly large: 17" x 42". Unfortunately the owner had just finished loading a truck and trailer for a trip to Michigan to deliver some of his work and was not able to do any glass cutting at that time; he was very apologetic and asked if we could come back another time after they had returned. While we were talking and looking at what he did have on display, my wife found some corded glass that met our criteria, so we agreed to a future date to get a couple of those panels.

Made an appointment and went back today. Jon Goldbaum was an absolute pleasure to visit with, to see his stained glass work, and to watch him work. After cutting my glass, we visited some and he showed me his woodshop; he makes doors for his stained glass and builds his own frames and doors. One of the more interesting tools was a dedicated dovetail machine; it's not very flexible in terms of being able to do all sorts of spacings and the like, but very efficient for fast production. He also has an old Delta-Rockwell shaper that, as he said, "was built before they started making them light and cheap".

The glass wasn't cheap, but given that he spent almost an hour with me, I know he wasn't exactly overcharging me either. He just moved to Tucson about a year ago from Michigan and is getting established here. Given the quality of his work and his friendly nature; I'd say he has a good future. All in all, that was one of the most pleasant experiences I've had buying something for a very long time.

Mark & Juanita