Good service from Lee Valley

"Ian Dodd" wrote

Good post Ian.

I have done extensive business writing. I used to interview various folks who were very sucessful in their respective businesses. I never fogot an interview I did once with a guy who operated several unrelated businesses. And they all did well.

He was busy writing notes when I arrived. He had me wait for a couple minutes while he finished up. I quickly determined that these were thank you notes. They were gold engraved and had his name, address and phone number on them. I asked about them.

He smiled and told me that this was a tradition he has practiced for many years. He said that the world is full of rude and boorish people. And there is too little praise. So he carries these thank you notes all the time. Some are stamped so he could mail them. And some were plain so he could hand them directly to people.

And he wrote them out for everybody he met who he thought deserved them. If he got good service at a restuarant, he wrote two notes. One to the waitress and one to the manager. He would even write a thank you note to the chef. He would often leave a store, write the thank you note and return to the store to deliver the notes.

This guy wrote a minimum or twenty notes a week and sometimes wrote as many as a hundred notes a week. He had kind words for everyone. A genuinely nice and appreciative guy. Nobody had anything bad to say about the guy and he had an excellent reputation.

Needless to say, he did well in business. With that kind of attitude, people would have died for this guy. In a world where courtesy and niceness are considered quaint vestiges of the past, this sort of thing is REALLY appreciated and noticed.

Sometimes a nice note can make somebody's day. Other times it can have a super ppsitive effect on somebody's life. We are remiss if we don't bless our fellow humans now and then with a well deserved thank you. It is appreciated by all.

Lee Michaels

Reply to
Lee Michaels

a dollar-fourty-nine cent 3/8" drill rod makes an excellent burnisher.

Reply to
bridger

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 11:44:37 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@all.costs spake the words:

So does a $2 (or was that $1?) box of junk parts and hardware which just happened to have a wooden version of the Veritas adjustable-angle burnisher in it.

-------------------------------------------- -- I'm in touch with my Inner Curmudgeon. --

Comprehensive Website Development ============================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Yabut the jerk made you wait while he wrote notes. ;)

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Do this with the spouse and kids too.

I haven't done it nearly enough and with my children 21 & 17 years old it is kinda "too late."

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

... snip

Couldn't snip any more.

You know it's funny, we are all really busy with our lives, getting things done, just the general things of life. Yet, when something bad happens, we are readily willing to spend some of that time, put something else off and express our complaints. Which, by the way is not necessarily a bad thing, if people or businesses go through life oblivious to the pain and aggravation they are causing, they will continue happily on their way providing lousy service and wondering why nobody likes to deal with them. However, we don't seem nearly as ready to take time out or put something aside for the time to expend the same amount of energy when somebody does something really good (kind of that, "wow" kind of service). ... and that's a shame. I need to take a look at whether I'm praising people enough when they do something good.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

No it isn't. My dad actively tormented me growing up, but I still forgive him for it. That's a rough age, and they're not going to want to show that they care, but I'd be willing to bet good money that they do- and I'm not a betting man.

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

Reply to
Prometheus

This guy sounds like Robert Horchow of the Horchow Collection catalog. He was profiled in a fascinating book called "The Tipping Point"

Malcolm Gladwell.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Dodd