Good place to buy a GOOD saw in Central FL???? (Tampa)

Looking for a good deal on a good-great saw in the Tampa area. Orlando would work too if I can get a deal.

Called Grizzly, their delivery fee is pretty good, but the freight company wants an additional $90 for a truck with a Tommy Lift. Is there another way to get the 350lb saw off the back of tractor trailer?

Home Depot and Lowes for the most part, only have Junk table saws.....

Woodcraft seems a bit pricey for what they offer, they've never been know for a good deal.

Any other suggestions?

HELP!!!

Reply to
Elmar

Try

in Sanford.

I've never been there, but they may be worth a look.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

A couple of 2 x 6's and a dolly work wonders. Hint - slide the dolly down the ramp, don't try to wheel it down.

Talk to the owner. Rockler isn't known for great pricing either, but I was able to work out a price on my special ordered Jet (JTAS-10XL) that beat anything on the web.

Nova

I too live in the Tampa area, and I just received a shipment from Grizzly. When I contacted Central Transport to arrange delivery, they told gave me the same story about charging a fortune to use the lift gate. I decided to just lay my extension ladder on the back of the truck and slide it down to the driveway.

When I informed the driver of my plan to get the box off the truck, he told me he was an independent operator, that the company gets $70 for use of *his* lift gate, and he gets $20. He told me for $20 he'd gladly lower the crate to the curb. SOLD!!

Have a backup plan, but talk to the driver. You may be able to get off cheaper than what the company told you.

Reply to
Ehvee8or

Here's some ideas

You could buy or build something like a cherry picker type lift. You could build one out of wood that could handle 350 + lbs, could also be usefull to move stuff around the shop.

Ask local businesses, the local lumber yard unloaded a metal lathe and a mill for me no charge. I was expecting to pay them but they just said for me to remember them when I'm needing what they sell. A machine shop unloaded machinery for me a couple of times too, no charge. You'll need a way to haul it home from the business unless they are real close and will drive it to your home. If you ask too much of them, they may want more than the $90 that you would be charged for a lift gate. Even if you can get a machine moved off the truck onto the ground, a pickup truck, or a trailer, you could take the machine apart and move it in pieces. When I lived with my parents, I got a 500lb metal shaper down in the basement by myself by disassembling it and sliding the heaviest pieces down on a 2 X 12.

I guess the bottom line is that if you are going to have to spend some money to unload the machine, I would recommend you investing the money in something you get to keep, like a cherry picker, hoist & A-Frame, or whatever will do the job. Something that can lift and move your heaviest machines can sure come in handy.

Reply to
RogerN

Try Jim and Slim's in Largo. I don't recall seeing any tablesaws at the Porter Cable/Delta factory repair shop in Tampa, but it is worth a look. David

remove the key to email me.

Reply to
J Pagona aka Y.B.

Yet another example of how dead presidents still speak.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

3 friends (may cost you a case of beer)
Reply to
Frank Ketchum

Wound up going to Woodcraft after all....

Made a NICE deal on a Jet Contractor saw.....Wasn't all the saw I wanted, but likely all the saw I need.

Thanks for the information!

Reply to
Elmar