Glue Questions 101

I have Tiebond III, Gorilla glue, the HiPUR Advanced hot-bonding system. Wondering what the best uses of Gorilla glue is? It foams whcih is sometimes a pain. The HiPUR takes a while to heat up and requires a 30 or 60 second set-up for wood.

Any good points of reference that break it all down? What's best for what?

Reply to
MN Guy

Mark

I have no experience with the HiPUR glues.

As for the other two, The TB III will be good any where. The Gorilla or polyurethane glue is good most anywhere also. But, the Gorilla glues will fill small gaps with the foaming. This does not make the joint stronger, it simply fills small gaps better. IMHO the Gorilla squeeze out is easer to remove or sand after it is dried. Wear gloves with the Gorilla type glue and cleanup excess uncured spots with Acetone.

Reply to
Leon

You left out hide glue. FWIW musical instrument repair and restoration sites, generally, recommend the stuff. The site below shows how to make a $17 glue pot. I'm needing some to repair an antique rocker.

Lawrence L'Hote

Reply to
nospambob

Have no idea if *this* will get hot enough . . . but here goes.

Joanne had to clean out her office - the Department was moving to another Suite. She found a 'plug-in Coffee Cup Warmer' that some drug rep had given her. Not wanting to throw out anything that could be useful, it was brought home & offered to me.

Looks like it could be a $0.50 or $1.00 item at a 'flea market' . . .

Just a thought . . .

Ron Magen

just might...last night I calibrated the Rival Hot Pot Express with about 4 cups of water in it....using a candy thermometer I got it to stay 140 deg dead on after a little fiddling. Larry

Reply to
Lawrence L'Hote

Reply to
Jim K