Glue For Melamine To Melamine?

Is there a glue that will bond melamine to melamine?

Not melamine glue, like Titebond or Roo, that glues melamine to porous materials. I'm looking to face glue 2 sheets of 3/4" melamine covered particle board to make a 1.5" thick sheet.

If no such product exists, would sandwiching a piece of 1/8" ply between the 2 panels and using melamine glue work? The extra 1/8" won't bother me.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Sand/plane off the melamine?

Reply to
krw

You want to glue melamine to melamine? Like, the smooth surface to the smooth surface? I have to ask. Why?

I could understand the other way around, but what's the purpose? I'm not trying to be a smartass.

Reply to
-MIKE-

The opinions here:

are to rough up the surface a little (150 grit sanding) and try any of several adhesives. Contact cement is a little quick on the uptake ;-) so you might prefer something with a little "wiggle" time.

I figured someone would ask. ;-)

I'm making a planer sled. Yes, I have other options, but...

I was given a 2' x 8' x 3/4" piece of melamine covered particle board. Perfectly flat and stiffer than the stuff you can buy in the home centers. I found it at one of those architectural salvage places. "Take it, it's yours."

I ripped it to 1' wide and will screw the 2 pieces together to make a

1' x 8' x 1.5" board. That should be strong enough not to flex *especially* if it was glued and screwed.

The method that "ads" linked to is what I had considered, but I figured I would ask about a possible direct-use adhesive to save myself the rough-up work. More of a curiosity than anything else.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Am Donnerstag, 17. Januar 2019 02:55:24 UTC+1 schrieb DerbyDad03:

regards Matthias

Reply to
sailor_max

I'm guessing any polyurethane adhesive would work. A light sanding to roughen the surfaces a bit would help.

Reply to
-MIKE-

The same glue that works with Melamine, laminate cement. AKA rubber cement.

Reply to
Leon

Make that Contact Cement.

Reply to
Leon

Works pretty damn good.

I'll make an simple alignment jig to ensure the top piece drops straight do wn onto the bottom piece.

Thanks.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Melamine might work for a sled, but I found that it was not very durable when I used it as a bed extension for my planer. The thin surface wore through after just a couple boards, and has only gotten worse.

Larry Kraus

I already have an extension for my planer.

It's made from SWMBO. I know it's durable because we just celebrated

35 years on Tuesday.
Reply to
DerbyDad03