Glider chair

I just finished a glider chair (my first) for a friend of mine. It looks g ood and sits fine, until you start to "glide" in it. Then it has a catch i n the motion that makes "gliding" in it uncomfortable. I used this set of hardware,

According to the instructions, which were minimal, the arms hang straight down and have a 7 1/2" distance between centers. That distance will be det ermined by mounting them, as the lag screws can only go at a certain distan ce, once the top is mounted. Or so it seems.

Any idea(s) whats putting the "hitch in the get-along?"

Reply to
Dr. Deb

Try this: Disconnect one bracket, at a time, from the seat unit, but keep the bracket connected to the stationary frame. Holding the seat in correct position, glide the seat. Is the "catch" still there? If so, reattach that bracket to the seat and repeat the glide test on another bracket. If each seat at tachment is okay, then try the testing by removing each bracket from statio nary frame, testing each one.

Troubleshoot each bracket to find out which one is the problem and at which location.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Thanks, Sonny, will do and will let you know how it turns out.

Deb

Reply to
Dr. Deb

Are attachment bolts interfering with the base or the seat?

Reply to
Leon

good and sits fine, until you start to "glide" in it. Then it has a catch in the motion that makes "gliding" in it uncomfortable. I used this set o f hardware,

t down and have a 7 1/2" distance between centers. That distance will be d etermined by mounting them, as the lag screws can only go at a certain dist ance, once the top is mounted. Or so it seems.

I did have a bit of a bind on the back arms binding on the seat supports. But I cleared that problem. Now it swings okay, but just binds in the midd le of the swing, giving a jerk to the motion, which, as my friend said, tak es all the pleasure out of the chair.

Deb

Reply to
Dr. Deb

Keep in mind that if the arms do not hang perfectly parallel there is going to be a point in the swing that the arms are working against each other, almost acting as a break. Think of a simple square frame. It is easy to push it out of square. If you add diagonal supports the frame gains significant resistance against being pushed out of square. The closer the supports are to square with the frame the less resistance there will be to push the frame out of square. Now think of your chair swing arms as sides of your frame and the base and chair the top and bottom of your frame. If the swing arms are not perfectly parallel they at some point in the swing will resist each other.

You need to insure that the distance between the top of the swing arms attachment points is exactly the same as the distance between the bottom attachment points. If not there will be resistance, that bump you feel, at the same spot of the forward and backward swing.

Reply to
Leon

Thanks, will check it very carefully.

Deb

Reply to
Dr. Deb

Got the chair back in the shop today and checked it out. It turns out the problem was not a "hitch in the get-a-long" as he had described, but the fa ct he did not like the mechanism. It seems his old chair (commercially mad e) had a "T-bar" type movement that gave a rolling motion to the glide and that is what he was wanting.

Talked to him tonight and he said he saw the type of movement his old chair had, on the internet. I told him to find it and we would make this chair fit the movement. Which might be fun as the chair was made for the hanging mechanism. But we will see

But thanks to one and all for the tips and help.

Deb

Reply to
Dr. Deb