Getting the Craftsman Compucarve thingie for Christmas anyone using it out there?

shorter

Having spent a few years doing bearing research as well as specifing bearings for both automotive as well as machine tool applications, gives me a little perspecyive ao the subject of bearings.

Any supplier who tried to pass off the above, would have been placed on the unapproved list.

Precision and long life are not mutually exclusive terms in the bearing industry.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I guess that you will not be purchasing one.

Reply to
Frank Drackman

I would agree that that's a real limitation, but not the case. The Software itself allows you to create. The Library's you can add/purchase only make less work for you. Other then that you can import most standard graphic formats (bmp,jpeg etc) and it will gray scale them (darker = deeper). What does concern me is in thier faq they speak of "advanced features" to be released at a later date.... Also you can use Vectorarts3d application and library.

Unfortunately no CAD support (another advanced feature in the future)

But I think I can easily take or create anything either scanning/photo or even drawing the damn things and get it to work. I haven't gotten the Compucarve demo software to work yet but the Vector Arts demo works fine and am currently examining the functions.

Reply to
sawzdust

Thanks! I'll look through them.

Reply to
sawzdust

I'd have to agree about the bearings, I guess the first thing I'll do is take it apart;-)

Reply to
sawzdust

I'll examine the parts lists and see what makes this thing tick and get back to you.... I'd have to say worm gear for precise movement, but I'll find out!

Reply to
sawzdust

The manufacturer admits that some machines got out without proper lubrication on the flex shaft--if that's the case, they may have gotten out without proper lubrication elsewhere, so it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to lube everything that needs lube just on general principle.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I am just recalling my conversation with the product manager and posed with the direct question about cycle life he did say some bearings probably only had a life of 2,000 hours. He did kind of think about it for a moment but seemed genuine in his response. He also did mention it was in the movement system. I was just speculating on the reasons. I still feel this was a reasonable life time before you'd need some maintenance and repair. If in production I'd hope to generate at least $10 of profit an hour off of the unit... again, just wild-eyed speculation.

That's what's great about these forums. You can just spout your opinion like you actually know what you are talking about and when you get called on the carpet by someone who really does know their shit, it's not so embarrasing to admit your limitations.

All that said, I still hope to own one of these babies eventually.

BW

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com