General 34-01 Drill Press? Anyone? Anyone?

Looking at buying a new General 34-01 Drill Press. I own their 650 table saw - love it. Can find very little feedback on the drill press though. Anyone own one or know anything about it?

Appreciate the feedback, KB

Reply to
auto119042

I bought one brand new about two years ago. A very nice tool that is built well. A few of the parts are pronme to rust even though my basement has A/C.

It does lack some modern features such as a gear rack to lower and raise the table. The manual was written in 1975!

I would only buy one if you very strongly support only North American products and you need the absolute best in a drill press. The Delta and Jet drill presses are a lot better deal at 1/2 the price.

Another option would be to buy an old Rockwell drill press and restore it for 1/2 the price.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

Thank you,

How is the table lowered and raised? I see an option exists for adding motor and table lifts? Any thoughts? Do you consider the General to be twice the build quality of, say, the Delta 968 Variable Speed? Thanks.' KB

Reply to
auto119042

The table just slides up and down on the column. There is a bolt with a handle that locks the table to the column.

I've never looked at a Delta variable speed up close so I can't really compare the two.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert