Garage Security

it does almost all of it's curing in the first 40 days. when building a boat, a builder would be lucky to fit out the interior and deck in a year, so that's probably where that time period came from. it can't be launched until it has a deck, and it usually doesn't have a deck until it's got most of the interior done.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

All the good functional stuff is no longer available.

Reply to
George Max

Concrete is one of the real oddities of the construction world. It cures forever, or seems to. I've seen carpenters fooling around who would just use the side of their hammer to push regular nails into 3 day old concrete. Come back 30 days later and you have to use hardened nails. In 30 years, you'd best use a powder actuated gun.

Reply to
Charles Self

Wed, Jan 11, 2006, 10:32am (EST-1) snipped-for-privacy@removethiswi.rr.com (George=A0Max) coldly suggests: Halon in combination with automatically closing windows and doors could achieve the desired effect too. Can you get halon any more?

Doesn't really matter, because setting a trap like that would be illegal, and leave you very open to proscecutation. And, probably get you sued up the wazoo for wrongful death. Among other issues, it would be unselective. Lethal traps are illegal. Traps deliberately causing injury would be also, I believe. With our crooked lawyers and politicians, possibly even causing the doors and windows to secure automatically, trapping someone inside, would be called illegal detention, or some such, and let the criminal(s) go free, and you to jail.

Probably be a better idea to make a big production of everyone leaving, taking all vehicles, and ramain inside, hidden, with a shotgun, waiting for someone to break in. Possibly illegal also, especially if your plan is to deliberately set out to shoot someone, but at least it would be selective - and, no, you probably woud not get away with shooting your mother-in-law by claiming you though she was a burgler.

JOAT You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you "know"?

- Granny Weatherwax

Reply to
J T

Wed, Jan 11, 2006, 9:53am (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@bendcable.com (Tim=A0Douglass) did stateth: Whether it is necessary or not, by friend thought it was and ended up "remodeling" in order to remove his boat from the back lot.

Don't think so. Don't know if the Chinese are still making barges out of it, but they did - and they "aged" them for about a week, buy sinking them in the water, then put them to use. And, during WWI they made Liberty Ships from it, and they didn't have a year to waste. I know the Navy spearmented for awhile, and they wouldn't have wasted a year.

Must be tons of stuff on the web about it, but I think I still have my references. May check it out later. If you've never read much on it, fascinating. They've even made boats/floats with 1/4", that quarter inch, walls. The Rooshians salvaged a boat that had been trapped thru the winter on a river. Took a bucket of sand, some cement, and water, to patch it, and it was ready to go.

Sometimes it even amazes me, some of the stuff I've researched - and even still have material on. I might not know a whole lot about very many things, but I do know a little about a whole lot.

"J T" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3337.bay.webtv.net... Wed, Jan 11, 2006, 10:32am (EST-1) snipped-for-privacy@removethiswi.rr.com (George Max) coldly suggests: Halon in combination with automatically closing windows and doors could achieve the desired effect too. Can you get halon any more?

[...]

Reminds me of something like 35 years ago, when I offered to "house sit" for my first wife's elderly (about t90 then) grandmother who was having problems with her summer home being broken into. Thieves would bust in, trash the place and leave. The only things to steal were books and old--not antique--furniture. Hell, it was an old (1839) farmhouse in the Hudson River Valley, neat place, but not fancy.

I got turned down. I never did figure out if my in-laws were afraid I'd kill a burglar and go to jail or he'd kill me and NOT go to jail.

Reply to
Charles Self

I have a switch in the house to close the door (mostly because I don't want to go out there in my PJs when my wife says "you left the door open again") and the garage lighting circuit is still on the house panel. If I can get the door closed before the bad guy gets out and turn off the lights he will kill himself on the junk I have laying around. If he does manage to drag his bloody body out the only other door I will be waiting,

Reply to
gfretwell

Thu, Jan 12, 2006, 12:47am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@worldnet.att.net (Charles=A0Self) doth sayeth: I got turned down. I never did figure out if my in-laws were afraid I'd kill a burglar and go to jail or he'd kill me and NOT go to jail.

Well, that's better than if they figured you'd make a bigger mess then the trespassers.

JOAT You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you "know"?

- Granny Weatherwax

Reply to
J T

Wed, Jan 11, 2006, 9:36pm snipped-for-privacy@aol.com cheers me up with: I have a switch

Ha. Now that definitely sounds workable If one "is" trapped, maybe you could toss a flash bang in, just to keep him awake. LMAO Now, does anyone have instructions on mainge flash bangs?

JOAT You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you "know"?

- Granny Weatherwax

Reply to
J T

Well, that's better than if they figured you'd make a bigger mess then the trespassers.

True., but...if I'd sat there all night every night for 10 days or so, with zip happening, and a baseball bat at hand, if one ever showed, I'd probably have been grouchy enough to truly make a mess. But that was a long, long time ago.

Incidentally, that was in Dutchess County, NY, so a ball bat is easier to explain than even a shotgun should something actually happen.

Reply to
Charles Self

It would be a shame if the burglar spilled gasoline all over and then caused a fire. Don't know how much legal trouble you'd get into for storing gasoline in 5 gallon glass jugs.

Reply to
W Canaday

From one of my books:

"Mixed with sufficient water and prevented from drying out, concrete grows harder and stronger with the passage of time. The process is called curing and starts sometime after final set and continues for years, perhaps indefinitely. the gain in strength is most rapid at first, tapering off until it becomes almost imperceptible after the first few years. Typically, concrete that exhibits a compressive strength of 1,500 psi three days after pouring resists 2,000 psi after seven days, 4,000 psi after twenty-eight days, 5,000 psi after three months and 5,500 psi after one year."

"Drying can be prevented by covering the concrete with a waterproof covering, wet newspapers, wet straw, or sawdust or by sprinkling it frequently with water after it has gone well beyond initial set."

It looks from that like you could do OK after just three months. As to the time it takes to fit the deck and interior, most of those I had acquaintance with had the hull made up then they sat with a gradually shredding tarp over them for the requisite year. I believe the conventional wisdom was that you didn't want to work in them until they had finished that year of curing. Oddly enough, several that I observed had the deck made of concrete as well and it was laid up at the same time as the hull - with suitable access holes for getting motors and such in. At least on had the basic cabin made from F-C, but I would think that would be moving more weight up high than is ideal.

F-C boat construction is a fascinating thing. Years ago I thought I wanted to build one, so hung out with a bunch of boat builders. The fact that they were all missing at least one finger from either the bandsaw or the centerboard cable gave me reason to re-consider.

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

I think application would make quite a bit of difference. A thick-walled river barge is a bit different from a 3/4" thick hull for an ocean-going sailboat. On the Liberty ships the concrete was used as a combination of reinforcing and dampening between two layers of steel plates (maybe 1/2" or better) near the screw. It was a layer up to about 6" thick IIRC and significantly reduced the engineering complexity of bracing for the torque effects of a single screw on a medium sized cargo vessel.

That's one of the reasons why F-C boats were pretty popular. I don't hear much about them any more (but don't live near the ocean either) so they may not be as popular as they were 30 years ago.

I know what you mean.

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

Not so different. I've never seen an amateur boatbuilder's first concrete hull that was anything like 3/4" thin! I have however seen some plug-ugly concrete hulls.

When I lived on the Seine (17m steel hull - ex Dutch Navy) we used to moor near one with all the charm of a nuclear bunker. On the other side was a houseboat converted from a barge oiltank - that looked positively charming in comparison. Just a few posts down was allegedly where Catherine Deneuve lived, but I can't say we ever saw her. Mind you, all the women in Neuilly looked like Catherine Deneuve.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Thu, Jan 12, 2006, 3:42pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@bendcable.com (Tim=A0Douglass) done writ: On the Liberty ships the concrete was used as a combination of reinforcing and dampening between two layers of steel plates (maybe 1/2" or better) near the screw.

Check this.

'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you "know"?

- Granny Weatherwax

Reply to
J T

I had a fire in my garage. I would rather just be robbed.

Reply to
gfretwell

point out, however, that none of them are Liberty ships, which were a specific class of welded steel ship built during the Second World War. They were the first all-welded steel ships and the first built using modular construction. Credit Henry Kaiser with inventing a lot of the mass-production methods for them. My exposure to the Liberty ships was via the shipyard where my father was working scrapping them out.

See this for a lot about the Liberty ships:

this: According to Evon Brewton, their slow speed made Liberty Ships "sitting ducks for submarines. So all ships were reinforced by concrete from [the] bottom up to three feet above water line. . . ."

I don't recall any concrete anywhere except around the screw area, so I question this particular assertion, at least as a general statement about the ships.

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I was kinda hoping that everyone would say that there's nothing to worry about, but it's obvious now that I need to address the issue. I do plan on parking in the garage as well, so some of the solutions aren't available to me. Perhaps I'll build a small addition to the garage that can be locked.

Thank you.

Reply to
Greg Esres