Garage dust collection

Im considering add something in garage. Workshop is 1 of 3 stalls. Maybe 3 locations need intake. Those 1hp things I see at Harbor Freight any good. I imagine that all are pretty noisey (thinking of neighbors).

What about notion of just a fan connected to ducting to move air/dust to outside using dryer vent hose. I could just blow the dust outside through vent and into trash can. Any ideas on where to find a fan or assembly that might to that job?

Any tips appreciated

Reply to
JJonson

You can find plenty of fans at

I doubt you will find the size and velocity you need. Anything blowing into a trash can will also be creating enough turbulence to blow things out of the can. Large fan and small duct = lot of restrictions. The blowers on most DCs are really pretty quiet.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

If you do a google search for the HF 2 horsepower DC you will find that many people have had very good luck with it, myself included. It's really a great deal, especially when it goes on sale for $149 as it often does. And the thing is not that terribly noisy, but is very effective. A fan, in my opinion, won't work, there's simply no way that it will generate enough air movement to be of any use. I tried to build a dust collector myself, using an old impeller from a furnace blower, and after spending about $100 dollars on rigging the thing, I wound up buying the HF DC and am very happy with it. Good Luck

JJ> Im considering add something in garage. Workshop is 1 of 3 stalls. Maybe 3

Reply to
Doug

I have the HF 2 hp DC.. I was advised NOT to get the 1HP one, though it filters (supposedly) 1 micron and the 2hp 30 micron..

Anyway, the DC isn't silent, but since I've got family visiting and playing in the shop, I've been walking around and doing informal "sound tests" (this is with the garage door open)

If I'm in the middle of the street, directly in front of the open door, it's fairly load, but not as loud as my lathe or RAS.. Not something that would really irritate someone, but loud enough that I wouldn't run it past 9 or 10pm..

Across the street, 1 house either side of the one directly across.. (I don't care about the dipstick there, he has a BAND) It sounds like a neighbor running a home vac with the window open..

On the lawn of either "next door" neighbor, barely hear anything, mostly "feel" the bass of the DC..

ALso, I have a home made cyclone can with 2 plastic elbows and 2 aluminum hoses, so that would build the total noise a bit..

Reply to
mac davis

I run a 2 Hp Griz DC...and I have the top bag enclosed completely inside within a box made with 1/4 inch plywood ..with an open top & bottom... and honestly I sometimes have to LOOK or even walk over and feel if the bottom bad is expanded ..(indicating the unit is on...)

The noise is that low... I do admit that I can only hear out of one ear but if I have to walk over and feel the bottom bag to see if the unit is running then it is more then quiet enough....

Seriously the bottom bag is exposed the motor etc is exposed and I can definately hear it start up... but once running it is not at all noisy

Bob Griffiths ..

Reply to
Bob G.

My Jet 1.5 (?) HP DC is a *LOT* quieter than my Sears shop vac. When the jointer or planer are making sawdust you can't hear the DC at all... ;-)

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

Bob,

That's super testament about something I would like to try. Can you tell me how far above/below the bag your box extends (if at all)? Also, how much space do you have between the box walls and the bag? If you are able to post a pic on ABPW, that would be great.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

One thing you have to watch on any DC you get is what type of filter bag it has. Your nasal hairs will stop most stuff above 5 microns. Several DC's advertise a 30 micron bag. The problem with that is it isn't really doing you any good, beyond making you "feel" better with all that noise and air movement in your shop. Your tools stay cleaner, but your lungs do not.

The HF 2hp is a good machine BUT it comes with two cloth bags that only stop stuff in the 30 micron and up range. You need replace the bag with something that will actually do you some good (shaker felt bag from Highland Hardware is a good choice) When you do, your through put is going to plument to about 550 CFM. Double the bag (run two filter bags on top) and use a plastic garbage bag as a liner for the collection bag. Your through put will be about 1150-1200 and your lungs will stay a lot cleaner, which is why you bought the thing in the first place.

Deb

Reply to
Dr. Deb

Does this mean I should stop mowing my nose hair and/or grow a big bushy mustache ???

Reply to
Bob Carpenter

me too. I bought the Giz G8027. A single horse sucker.

The G8027 is quiet. DC's in general are one of the more quiet tools in a Nahm Shop.

Don't buy a 1HP unless you're sure you can unload it when you find out it doesn't suck enough.

Reply to
patrick conroy

filter bag it

Only if you have already found Love of Your Life.

Reply to
robdingnagian1

Funny you should mention that. We have been married 35 years today.

Reply to
Bob Carpenter

DC sits in the corner..against one wall So I needed to enclose 3 sides...My ceiling is low so I actually really hung the 3 sides down to a point about 2 or 3 inches 3 one inch above the metel rim where the top and bottom bags attach...

I;ll have to look up ABPW on my news list...

Bob

Reply to
Bob G.

No actually I bought both of my Dust Collectos just to keep my shop a lot cleaner, and neater looking... I did NOT purchase either for health reasons...

I am in my 60s now... smoke, drink, and would be out chasen women if I did not have the greatest wife in the world....

Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G.

I bought mine so I didn't have to the sweep the floor! Greg

Reply to
Greg O