Dryer vent to garage?

My electric dryer is inside the hous on the other side of the wall of my garage. The vent it in a long pipe going outside. Can I went the dryer into my garage? This would be the shortest, most direct route.

If I cant, is their a specification to how many bends a dryer vent can have and how long it can be? I have storage space under the house which is accessible from the garage and the dryer vent hose is in my way. The "flexible tuning" gets crinkled up every time something hits it.

Reply to
stryped

I had ours vented into the garage, in the winter I had yellowish icecicles forming from the soffit vents around the garage and the garage stayed very humid.

I would vent it outside somehow.

Reply to
twstanley

Maybe you could run a piece of plasic pipe along the wall instead of vent tubing....at least it wouldn't collapse....Ross

Reply to
Ross Mac

I used the garage for years. However, I had a mesh bag about the size of a garbage bag to catch the lint that escaped the dryer filter.

Sure, the moisture was bad, but just crack open the garage door.

Reply to
PJx

It is likely to be against the local codes and it is always a bad idea. You want that moisture out of your home and that includes the garage.

As for the number of bends ect. you need to check the dryer's manual. You can also get a booster fan if there are too many turns and too far. I just did that and as soon as my back is a little better I will put it in.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

route.

Where would I get a booster fan?

Reply to
stryped

If your in a cold environment forget about it as the condensation and high humidity aren't worth it. Run the vent outside and don't worry about a few corners as long as you aren't kinking the vent and restricting airflow.

Reply to
HotRod

You local appliance supply house should have what you need. If not try

I got mine there. My local appliance supply was on the the model I needed.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Instead of messing with the tubing, can you move the dryer closer to an exterior wall? I had a dryer vented about 15-20 foot went I bought my house and it had at least 3 turns in the tube. It was next to an exterior wall so I just took a hammer drill and drilled about 20 holes and then hit it out with a sledgehammer. Ran the tube right from the dryer to outside with zero turns and about 3 feet of travel. Dries in about half the time.

They say not to use that flexible tubing for dryers due to the lint build-up it will cause. This could be a fire hazard or reduce efficiency of the dryer. Use standard hvac ducting or PVC. I wouldn't vent it into a garage or any area where lint will build up.

Reply to
Mike

WOuld stove pipe work?

Reply to
stryped

That would work great. Although they say not to have any screws going into the vent where lint will collect on it and eventually build up. I use standard duct clamps and sometimes a little silicone sealant if needed.

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

wouldn't

Reply to
Mike

bought

I was thinking of actually welding it togther. The problem is ai Thik I would need a few 90 degree bends. Is that acceptable?

Reply to
stryped

I would make an attempt to make them 45 degrees as much as possible. Any sharp turns will produce wind resistance and reduce performance.

Reply to
Mike

Stove pipe would work OK but would eventually rust from the moisture, There is aluminum dryer vent that is easier to work with. Your choice. When you vent to the outside, there is a piece that you can put through the hold in the wall and it has a flapper to close and a flange to make a seal.

Venting into a garage is against building code and hastens the rusting of your cars.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Our dryer originally was vented through the roof of the house but it didn't work well. A man came out and ran the vent pipe through the wall into the garage then up into the attic and out the soffit. It has worked fine ever since. I am in FL and there has been no rust problem. My neighbor did the same thing...she is the one who gave me the man's name.

Reply to
Dorot29701

It is not okay to add humidity to a garage (unless you want to grow mushrooms there). Use the shortest smooth tubing with the fewest bends to the outside.

Reply to
Phisherman

Don't send it into the garage. The flex venting is okay if you don't have much length AND you clean it out often. If you have more than 6 feet and two turns then I would try to redo it using a metal pipe/duct system. The number of turns depends on the distance and how often you clean it. Also, the more turns your have obviously the harder it is to clean, especially using flex. I have 4 turns and about 8 feet in length which is probably too many turns and length, but I do blow it out once a year and reassemble the whole thing and fully clean out the line and dryer itself every 2-3 years. My dryer is next to my garage, venting toward the garage initally and then runs down under the house to the left and vents in the backyard. We use our dryer probably about 4-5 hours a week. I just took mine apart last weekend after a little more than two years and the straight section was somewhere between 25-40% blocked, but three of the four turns were clear...the last turn near the outside was slightly blocked. The cleaning of these vents is one of the most overlooked things in the home. I am surprised there aren't more fires. But in any case I know the dryer repairmen and parts companies are happy because an obstructed vent can blow a dryer out in no time. I learned this the hard way awhile back.

Reply to
Wade

my dryer has a "vent" of a piece of 30 foot 4" pvc...hack job for sure

Reply to
Fake name goes here

doesn't each turn add something like 10 feet as far as reduced airflow is concerned, making turns very undesirable?

Reply to
effi

"Plastic dryer vent violates construction code... According to the mechanical code, dryer vent ducts must be made of metal. PVC ducts take longer to become warm when the dryer is being used. This causes steam to condense inside the duct, and this moisture collects lint. Continued buildup of lint restricts the airflow within the duct, preventing your clothes from becoming dry."

Reply to
effi