Full kerf or thin kerf

Basically, a majority of the time a thin kerf blade saves enough wood to insure that the scrap you throw away is a little larger.

Reply to
Leon

If you're really after saving $$ on wood by using a thin kerf, then you should really take the next step and use a bandsaw.

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

That's for sissies. Really frugal man would split the wood with his pen knife and have no waste.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in news:Qguxg.4648$qZ2.1502@trndny01:

You still have the waste from finishing the edge. If you're really trying to conserve wood, have it laser cut.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

And if he were really frugal, he would have turned down that pen knife on his lathe from scraps.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

I may have missed it, but so far I haven't seen any mention my favorite reason for a regular kerf blade: 1/8" is SO much easier to work with than 7/32!

YMMV :)

Reply to
lwasserm

7/32"? That's almost a quarter of an inch. Never seen any blades that wide, at least not in the home setting.
Reply to
Upscale

Hey who uses a dado to make rips and cross cuts? "~)

Reply to
Leon

The lathe that he also built from scraps:

- Owen -

Reply to
Owen Lawrence

Thanks for the pointer. Been meaning to buy these books for years. Bought both the lathe and milling machine book.

CW

OOPS! Sorry. Of coursce I meant 3/32! (Told you 1/8 is easier to work with...)

Reply to
lwasserm

????? Where do you live that finding a 2x4 is an "adventure"?

Ply, no, MDF, yes. And some projects use two pieces of ply bonded together--with those it's easier to rough cut, bond, and finish cut than to cut two identical pieces.

Reply to
J. Clarke

????? Where do you live that finding a 2x4 is an "adventure"?

I'm not talking about doug fir if you're west of the Mississipi or Lodge Pole Pine or southern yellow pine.

Around here, finding 2x2s - in maple, or mahogany or ash, or even oak, let alone padouk or teak - IS an adventure. There are places you can order it - sight unseen - and wait three or four months for a container to arrive from god knows where to actually have it in hand. I don't plan that far ahead - though I do pick up stuff I don't "need" right now - if the opportunity presents itself. 10/4 and 12/4 claro walnut slabs - some of it crotch - for $40 to $50 apiece is something I can't pass up. A Bartlett Pear log - en buole for $200 now sits under a loose tarp on my driveway - off the ground on stickers of course.

Now redwood - we got shitloads of the stuff here in NorCal. some of it is absolutely gorgeous - but soft. Pity - some of it has figure which will take your breath away.

Nice to know an arborist who is also a sawyer AND a furniture maker. Once again - Thank You Blair!

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

How about Sitka spruce?

Just the fact that you refer to it as a 2x2 tells me that you really need to find a hardwood lumber yard. 8/4 maple, mahogany, and oak are quite common.

Now that is something that is virtually unobtainable here. Ipe we got out the ying-yang, but redwood . . .

Reply to
J. Clarke