FS: Vintage Delta Unisaw in Milwaukee, WI

I have a 1945 Unisaw for sale in Milwaukee. It has a 1 HP, 1 PH bullet style motor that runs like new. Jetlock fence, original switch plate. Internals are in great shape, the cabinet would need some work if you want it to look pretty. Email me at wowbagger9 at yahoo dot com if you would like pictures. Local pickup only. Asking $750.00.

Reply to
David C.

Just curious, why would anyone pay $750 for a 60 year old 1hp saw? What is so great about it?

Reply to
toller

Because that saw is every bit as good as one that costs $1500 or more today, and those old 1HP motors are more like today's 2HP, or so I'm told. Even if you bought a Baldor replacement, you'd have as good or better saw for a little over a grand. Still less than new, by a third.

- - LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

Onna 'count of there are two types of people in the world.

It's one of those, "if you have to ask..." things.

UA100, vintage, really vintage, Unisaw owner...

Reply to
Unisaw A100

outlast you and your kids if taken care of properly. The mass of the unisaw provides a more stable saw, with little to no vibration (mine will actually pass the "dime test" much less the "nickel test"). These older repulsion-induction motors, while rated for less horsepower than the newer motors, deliver a greater amount of torque and provide at least the same amount of cutting power as the new motors. The design of the unisaw has not changed in 65 years, except perhaps that the older ones are actually beefier in terms of their internal components, and the base is cast iron, not sheet metal like on the newer ones. Also, down the road if you want to sell it, you could get your money back. As soon as you walk out the door with a new contrators saw, the resale cost would be a lot less than what you paid for it...

dave

Reply to
David C.

The repulsion-induction motor will be difficult to find carbons for, however.

Reply to
George

So are YOU the vintage owner or are you the owner of a vitage Unisaw?

{:>

Mike

Reply to
The Davenports

OK, the Unisaw is actually 16 years more vintage than myself.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Not really George. Just find a reputable motor shop - they love working on the old R/I motors, and they have no problem locating brushes.

Besides, you only need to replace them once every 5-10 years, unless you're using the saw 8 hours a day, 5 days a week.

Resto Rick, proud owner of an old Unisaur...

Reply to
Rick Chamberlain

Pictures can be seen here:

David C.

Last set for our shop had to come _from_ Milwaukee. Guess that's one of the problems of living where there are more trees than people. We have two motor shops, but they had to get out of their normal ordering catalogs to find 'em.

We've got four RIs > > The repulsion-induction motor will be difficult to find carbons for, > > however. >

Reply to
George