French Door with side lights install question

"RicodJour" wrote

I guess it has gone from repairable to non repairable, and from barely not acceptable to totally unacceptable.

I only buy a bulk amount of doors once every two years, for my student built house project. It makes changes like this more dramatic and noticeable, I guess.

Are you a contractor, and do you hang your own doors from slabs, now? How about a quick survey from contractor types out there reading the group?

What do you all do for interior doors, nowadays? Prehung or hang your own?

Reply to
Morgans

Student house project? Sounds interesting - elaborate, please.

I will use an exterior prehung from a quality manufacturer, but I still hang my own exterior doors if I find a door I like. I like doing it. It also allows me to upgrade hardware to 4" ball bearing hinges and bronze saddles (Zero International is about half an hour away), and everybody appreciates that stuff (and pays for it). I love seeing people _playing_ with one of my doors - opening and closing it repeatedly just to watch it move effortlessly and click into place.

Houses have very few moving parts that are frequently operated, and those parts should be of the highest quality, not the lowest. Interior prehungs have nasty features, like radiused jamb edges that run into a radiused jamb header and that leaves a gap, oversized hinge gains, skimpy stops, and nasty brass 'finish' hinges, etc.

RicodJour

I've been a finish carpenter for way too many years. We work our own exterior doors on occasion but never work interior doors anymore. My suggestion for those having trouble with pre-hung doors is to never buy them from the big box stores and look around for a local supplier that machines their doors onsite. I can think of 3 different lumber yards that machine doors locally. These guys will give you the choice of any option of door, jamb, stop, hinge, back-set etc. that you can afford and give you much better/quicker service if you do encounter a problem.

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O.

Yes.

General Engineering A License

Depends on customer and application. This door was bought by customer and I had to make it fit in the window location. I do both. Damaged doors = slab Damaged jam or broken = Pre Hung. But have replaced Jams on the bad side.

Reply to
Rich

"RicodJour" wrote

I teach residential construction in a rural NC high school. The school bought land adjacent to the HS and opened a road into it to create a small housing development. We build a new house and action it off when it is done, about 1650 square feet heated, full basement, 2 car garage, 3 bedroom,

2 bath. They are aimed at new home owners, or perhaps downsizers or retired folks. We have a masonry dept, carpentry, electrical, and agriculture gets involved at landscaping time. Home economics chooses décor, and drafting classes draw the plans. At times, we also build a full set of cabinets for the house, but that sometimes pushes the time line. A new house is started every two years, with the goal of drying it in the first, finishing the second.

It seems like it is a long time to build a house, but when you only work on it for about 2 hours a day, it takes a while, plus given the fact that you have to teach how to do each new skill, and sometime do the constructing, then tearing it out and doing again, as many times as is necessary to get it right.

Excellent program, for those truly interested in it, but sometimes it is a challenge to keep from murdering the students that are not all that interested.

The house sale results in a little profit, which is put back into buying equipment for the vocational classes that are involved in the construction.

I guess I am going to have to get my door hanging router template out that I bought several years ago, and learn how to use it!

Reply to
Morgans

I will start looking, but I am surprised you can find someone to do yours locally.

Reply to
Morgans

Just remember that the doors at the BORGs are only a teeny percentage of the price the finish carpenters want for their installed set. Custom is far nicer, but you really pay for it.

Borg $350-700 (ltd choice) Local guys $2,500-25k (for far more choices and far more door)

-- Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air... -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

bravo for your local area to have the foresight to actually train people to do and make things.

Reply to
chaniarts

I second that. Need lots more of those classes and programs. Heck I had to learn everything on my own.

Reply to
Rich

GEEESH!!! The door unit is sitting on top of a giant humidifier!!

You gonna' have trouble with that one!. Leave lots of slack or come back...LOL

a picture of the French Door Installed that I had some question on. Everything went fine, had to shave down one doors upper corner a bit. The House is not all plumb but what house is? That was a bit of a problem to, getting the doors to set together on the same plane. Customer is happy. But the drywall R&R should be fun. This job was a result of water damage. Rain in Southern California 3 weeks ago. When we were getting 4" a day for a week.

Reply to
Josepi

It's not "on top of" anything but a concrete slab. If you're talking about the hot tub that appears to be a good 3-4 feet away, you, as usual, are spewing gross exaggerations and complete BS.

How is an exterior door designed to withstand constant exposure to water going to be at all effected by the minimal amount of steam that might be blown by a breeze towards it, instead of rising straight up from the hot tub?

How is that little amount of condensation somehow worse than a driving rain?

What about that light fixture? He better be careful it doesn't "explode," huh?

Reply to
-MIKE-

Maybe capillary action works differently where he is. The water would wick up through the spa liner, across the concrete and into the door. The dangerous part is when it doesn't stop there and ends up in a faucet in the house. That's why some of them drip constantly.

RicodJour

Su-perb! What an excellent thing to do. You're very lucky to have adjacent land for that, but programs like yours could work in a lot of places. Even in a depressed urban area. New Orleans comes to mind.

Post the web site link, J. I'd love to see more about your program.

Is there a maximum age for your students? I'd like to work only two hours a day. ;)

Murder?! Shocking. BTW, they're called "job site accidents".

There should be more programs like yours. Sustainable education is at least as important as any other kind.

Ah, a fellow tool junkie. Nothing like having a backlog of tools that have never been used. It gives one another reason to keep on going. Eventually there will be the eureka moment..."ya know, that tool would be _perfect_ for this!"

RicodJour

Our feet were neither good not bad and since some have classified them as such, we went to the metric system to avoid the confusion of easier to understand measurements.

We also don't believe our humifity works by capiliary action.

We also try to understand the words that are written, although sometimes miscontrue them for real people's words.

On 1/18/11 11:13 PM, Josepi wrote: GEEESH!!! The door unit is sitting on top of a giant humidifier!!

You gonna' have trouble with that one!. Leave lots of slack or come back...LOL

Reply to
Josepi

You know, we don't have any web site for it. I will think about that, and try to put something together in the next couple months.

Yeah, right. Those two hours of work represent many hours of hair pulling, on my part. Right now, I am teaching a former mason to be my teacher assistant. He is a fairly quick study, but you know, he is still a mason. You know what a mason is, don't you? It is a carpenter with his brains bashed out!

You don't know how tempting that has been!

Yes, my mom's brother was a journeyman carpenter, and had retired and selectively selling off some of his tools that his son did not want. I saw his router door hanging set, and wanted it. It is a set that clips together with rods, so you go from frame to door with the same set, and it mortises the hinges reliably and accurately. I have not picked it up lately, but it is either a Rockwell or porter-cable, I think. I will get the thing out and learn how to use it, when I get one of those elusive round-tuits.

Reply to
Morgans