Foundation follow up - Backhoe shows up in the morning!

Folks -

Well, today the wif and I finished with small stuff in the yard and building area - marking things we wanted taken out or moved... "Fixin'" to get ready, as it were. We checked the stringlines on the batterboards - is that the right term?... Anyway, the diagonals were about 1 1/2 inches out - we will take another look at it in the morning. I've marked all of the outside diglines as the backhoe guy wanted, so...

I went to the planning department to see if I could reduce the size of the footings and confirm a couple of "fuzzys"... The good news is that I can modify things to save on concrete - and the process of doing it all a bit less puckery... They gave the okay and mentioned a couple of other things that I needed to do - another string of rebar near the top of the perimeter wall.

The last step was to cut the sidewalk and back step by the garage so the footings can be dug. I went to the lumberyard and picked up a couple of abrasive cutting wheels for my Makita Circ hoping that would do it... Ran into my woodshop teacher and he crumbed on the idea - but masonry blades were almost a hundred bucks... Anyway, long story short, he said he had two at his cabinet shop that he would loan me and BLAMMO... Poifect!

I took the cuts about 1/4 or 1/2" at a time, a bit more aggressively on succeeding cuts as it was cutting well. I wore a face shield and as luck would have it we had a pretty good breeze this afternoon and I was able to be upwind of everything. The dog, however, was lying on the rest of the sidewalk - downwind. He sneezed a few times, but couldn't be bothered to get up. Of course he's an old orphaned, crippled mutt with three legs, no balls, tail, brains, sense or shame, so I wasn't expecting much, given his unbroken loosing track record with 2 rottweilers, 1 Doberman and a Chevy pickup. I digress. I did notice that the saw sure works harder in concrete than it does in doug fir... I'll have pics in the AM...

The backhoe will be here in the morning - we're going to double and double-check our measurements.... More to come...

Oh boy! ooOOhh Boy! Oboyoboyoboyo!

John Moorhead

Reply to
John Moorhead

I feel your pain....hehehe My footings on one end was 27" deep. Inspectors! Watch out if he shows up with a pointed stick like device....

I am putting the finishing touches on my new shop too. Its a bit smaller

22x24 but its a huge improvement over my old one (10x20) which will become a finishing /storage room. Mine is taking forever to get finished because I am doing all the work by myself with no helper. Siding is going on it now slowly but surely and the insulation is almost finished inside. I put a metal roof on it with insulation board between the nailers which has made a big difference in the temperature inside. Its got a 6.5 in 12 roof that clear spans 2/3's of the space. Its wired and I have begun to put a few tools inside to make it easier to cut trim, siding, etc.

I just installed the twin air conditioners yesterday and they make it nice and cool inside even with no insulation in the ceiling yet. I am finding out that I will be lots better off with twin air filters hung from the ceiling too. I have thought about one on each wall just because. :) I have a couple of old furnace fans I can make them out of too..... I'll be very happy one all the inspections are done and I get all the tools in place.... I miss my lathe...and the dust collection...all in due time I suppose....

Reply to
Mark Hopkins

I wonder if the dog's name is Lucky???? Mark L.

Reply to
Mark L.

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 06:08:59 GMT, "John Moorhead" calmly ranted:

Densities are a wee bit different. Kudos on the free loan!

Yeah, it's important to have both before and after pics.

Congrats, and do remember to tie your patience to your side while the contractor and city/county inspectors drag things out to the very extent of the bitter end.

------------------------------------------------- - Clinton never - * Wondrous Website Design - EXhaled.- *

Larry Jaques