Vanguard/Dynavent wall furnace follow up

Last week I posted a problem about a wall furnace not working. Just to remind everyone:

There are 2 Vanguard DNV25NB gas wall furnaces in my fathers condo. ( I believe Vanguard and Dynavent are the same company). One of the units is not working. Just the fan comes on, but no igniter.

I tested the igniter with an ohmeter and it was good. Next I checked to see if I was getting 110V at the igniter and I am not. So now what do I do at this point? On the other unit that is working, I can faintly hear some kind of relay click right before the ignitor is lit. Is the relay part of the ignition module?

Reply to
Mikepier

Joe....wrong reply man...:)

Reply to
webmaster

Every self propelled I have seen has more than one speed. Yea, even those that say single speed. On those I have seen those walking speed controls only change the ratio of walking speed to blade speed. So on a single speed mower you reduce the engine speed you reduce the walking speed. When you reduce the walking speed you also reduce the need for mowing speed since you will be cutting less grass.

I have a multi speed mower and I always leave it on the same speed and I'll bet most people do.

I suggest you take a trip down to your library and look up the most recent story in "Consumer Reports" magazine and see what they have to say about mowers. Read the whole story, not just the ratings so you know why they think Acme is better than Consolidated.

Other than that, ask if you can take on outside and crank it up and see how it feels. Does it move at a comfortable pace. does it start easy, does it change over from mulch to bag easy, etc.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Sounds like a bad ignition module, but before you go swapping parts you might want to get a competent technician to check it out. If you purchase the ignition module you're stuck with it, even if doesn't fix the problem.

Reply to
Scott McDaniel

Sure was.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Well it took me a while to find something, but I found it here:

http://12.153.20.72/tech/manuals/201835F.pdfThere is a troubleshooting section towards the end.

I also called Desa parts in Michigan. The guys there were very helpful. They told me that when the blower comes on, there is a "sail" limit switch that closes and completes the circuit for ignition sequence. If the switch does not close, the glow bar will not light. Basically the sail switch confirms it has air blowing on it from the blower, and it will tell the ignition module to go ahead and fire the glow plug. I did check the temp limit switch and that is ok, so it looks as if I have to pull the furnace out to get at the sail switch. Hopefully that is the problem.

Reply to
Mikepier