Basement Finishing Advice needed

Hi there, I have a question about basement finishing. The link below has my questions and also floor plans to explain fully what I mean. I hope somebody can give me some insight!

mattylance

Since you already have a drawing and some ideas, I suggest that you take them down to your town's building department and see what they say. They are the people who will have final say as to whether or not it is permissible.

Reply to
John Grabowski

Apartment as in "someone lives here"? I don't see the windows and points of egress aside from one door. That may not meet building code for a space with sleeping quarters. If it is considered a separate residence, zoning can be an issue.

Crowding utilities is not a good idea. They must have proper ventilation, room to work around, proper clearances to the walls. Not knowing what you have no one can say for sure if they can be moved. Not seeing the rest of the structure, no one can say if the furnace can be easily moved due to the ducting.

Question two is a yes with reservations. Where is the drain? You can probably use the drain for the tub on the plan.

Question 3 Again, where is the drain? It is fairly easy to run water lines to it, but drains are more difficult. Same with power for the dryer as it will need a

220 line. Does service have accommodations for this dryer as well as the main household? If it gets very cold in that area it is not a good idea.

Cost: Minimum about $1500, but easily $4000 or more depending on your specifications and a lot of things not shown on the plans.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski