Forgot my geometry...

That's because he couldn't forsee that your career would be passing around buzz-words lame excuses in a woodworking conference about your own inadequacies.

Get a bloody life. You know nothing about mathematics, or you'd be simply applying it instead of blaming school systems for your own failures. Get a hobby. Try woodworking to relieve the tension.

Reply to
Guess who

Hax Planx wrote: ...

The notorious one for that when I was an undergrad was Atomic Physics lecture...each quiz was four problems, each counted 1/4-th, each was right or wrong--down to specific precision for those w/ numeric results. A real pita w/ a slide rule, for sure... :(

Dr. Livesay, the ex-Marine drill sargeant was the ogre for Analytic Geometry (Calc IV) similar to your description...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

My associates was in Engineering. When I got around to finishing

*COUGHS* years later, I'd been working as a software engineer basically my whole career, so I signed up for CS, but the way the courses were laid out, doubling Math was "easy" to schedule (though a good bit more demanding than the CS classes).

Linear is a stumbling block for CS types, much as (pick one) Statics and Dynamics or Differential Equations are for "hardware engineers."

I found I had to study more than with some other courses, but it wasn't a brick wall. OTOH, fully a third of my section was either repeats who'd dropped or Math Ed grad students who didn't do well enough as Undergrads.

Reply to
Charles Krug

I had that problem. I (probably foolishly) tested out of Calc I and II and dove directly into Calc III where I foundered.

Though I recovered. :)

Reply to
Charles Krug

For the love of God, man, keep up with your medications. Remember, Mr. Thorazine is your friend! He brings happy thoughts and makes the bad people talking in your head go away.

Reply to
Hax Planx

The funny thing was our department chair was a Harvard man, and his were the easiest advanced science classes I had.

Reply to
Hax Planx

I could have done much better with the lin alg/Diff eq class if I had applied myself the way I did with my first semester calc class, but I just had so much more going on. I had Physical Chemistry (a lot of abstract Max Planck quantum mechanics), very demanding labs, 300 level general ed classes, seminars to attend and write reports on, undergrad research, part-time job, etc. But I'll admit it was a great lifestyle and I would be still doing it to this day If I could.

Reply to
Hax Planx

I don't think Calc needs to be a high school class. If high schoolers leave with a good knowledge of algebra, geometry and trigonometry they will be very, very well prepared for college. When some graduates can't find the USA on a globe, they have far bigger fish to fry.

Reply to
Hax Planx

Then go away. This is a WOODworking forum, or did you forget how to read, or to understand what you do read? Try your luck in a math/physics forum, but don't keep your hopes too high that your drivel will be tolerated there either. Who gives a rat's behind if you passed or flunked math? You are the one with fantasies here.

You seem to be a LOT more familiar with that med than I am. I have no idea what it is, except to guess from your behaviour.

I'm done, except to post a problem in geometry:

Design a rectangular table. The top will pivot 90 degrees, and unfold to twice the size if needed.

  1. Where do you place the pivot point so that it will sit symmetrically about the center of the original top?
  2. What ratio of sides will ensure that the unfolded table has the same [similar] shape as the original folded rectangular top?

Come back when you can see your way through it. It's simple high school stuff, so not too much for your brilliant mind.

Reply to
Guess who

Um. The ones taking calculus in high school, aren't the same ones who can't find things on a globe, they're the ones who are majoring in Phy-Ed (or whatever it's called now) and _beating up_ the ones in the calculus class.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

to yet another person who talks big while "hiding" behind anonymity.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

You really can't do the math, can you?

I should give you access to my family's email address? I think not. You're one of the reasons making relative anonymity necessary. Besides, what does that have to do with what is said here? You're just using that as a sidetrack, an excuse. Do you need it so that you can ask for some hints on how to do the math? All I see here is a handful of people muttering a few buzzwords like "Calculus" because they heard it somewhere, and cluttering the newsgroup with other similar drivel, but not able to do a simple high school math problem.

Put up or shut up.

Reply to
Guess who

Apparently you forgot what started the whole thing: someone asked a question about measuring miters, someone else posted an answer that was demonstrably, and laughably, wrong, and then proceeded to insult and abuse those who pointed out his mistakes.

Doug Miller

...then people showed how clever they were? "A rose by any other name...." .

By the way, the pivot point is found by going half way along the length, down 1/4 the width, then that same distance lengthwise again. The ratio of sides for similar shapes open and closed would have to be sqrt(2):1. Now let's get on with some wood-talk.

Reply to
Guess who