Forgot my geometry...

I'll admit, I'm having a little trouble following exactly what you are describing, but are you looking for the standard trig formulas?

Sine = Opposite/Hypotenuse Cosine = Adjacent/Hypotenuse Tangent = Opposite/Adjacent

If you know what your angle between the two 1" lines is, you should be able to get the appropriate angle value (Sin, Cos, or Tan) from a decent scientific calculator or a Trig table, and then just use standard algebra rules to solve for your missing dimention. Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

Reply to
Prometheus

Interesting, I never heard that one. Euclid's method is to take any point on a circle, and then draw line from that point to the points where any diameter crosses the circle. The resulting angle will always be 90 degrees. Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

Reply to
Prometheus

utilization of "of"?

You should find another job other than trying to prove you are smarter than everybody else. It's a crowded field. Besides, if you are going to try to sound like Einstein, you should at least be right.

Reply to
Hax Planx

=20 "BadgerDog" wrote in message = news:rzJ6e.2439$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.socal.rr.com... | PDQ, to be consistent with your first post, you should use: | ergo: miter length =3D root (two(width squared)) | OR | ergo: bevel length =3D root (two(thickness squared)) |=20 | Sorry, given how the thread was going I couldn't help myself. |=20 | BadgerDog |=20 |=20 Some days one just can't seem to do more than survive.=20 By the time I got to this point, I almost didn't even care how the board = was positioned.

Reply to
PDQ

| than everybody else. It's a crowded field. Besides, if you are going =

| to try to sound like Einstein, you should at least be right.

Can't say as I was/am trying to prove myself "smarter than the average = bear".

I was just replying to a couple of pedants.

--=20

PDQ

-- =20

Reply to
PDQ

And you still don't realize where you went wrong.

Doug Miller

Geometry is proveable. I took a course where we began with Peano's postulates and from that derrived all of elementary Calculus--that stuff with differentials and integrals you might have hit in college.

It took two semesters and was BRUTAL.

Lemme see if I remember . . .

There is a number Zero

(MANY things snipped)

. . . which proves that the limit exists about a point x0.

Easy peasy.

Reply to
Charles Krug

Analytical geometry/spherical trig: I think that was the name of the only college course I couldn't pass... (I did great in algebra, though!)

Dave

Charles Krug wrote:

Reply to
David

Repeating (since you failed to address it last time): Tell me, just how would you express _in_words_, "root(2) * (width*width)" then?

Repeating (since you failed to address it last time):

Did your professors bother to teach you about "reduction" to simplest form? Did your professors not teach you how *stupid* it is to do two multiplies and a (calculated) square-root when the exact same result can be obtained via a single multiply of a constant

yup. "Root of the quantity two times the square of the width of the board"

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

| >Have you never given any thought to the order of qualification = inherent | >in the utilization of "of"? |=20 |=20 | Repeating (since you failed to address it last time): | =20 | Tell me, just how would you express _in_words_, "root(2) * = (width*width)" | then? | =20 Just for you: root two times width squared. No "of", just processing.=20

1) do what's left of the "times" 2) do what's right of the "times" 3) multiply the two results together.

--=20

PDQ

--

Reply to
PDQ

Guess what you get when you add 3, 4, and 5 ?

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

College ? Don't you guys do this in secondary school? (about age 13/14 ?)

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Some do. Most don't. Modern schools no longer place any emphasis on learning - they are just socialization vehicles.

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

I hit Calc as a HS Senior in 1980, then again as a college freshman.

MUCH later when I finished, I did Advanced Calculus (Sometimes called "Introductory Real Analysis" where you do all the proving.

The other "prove it" courses were Discrete Mathematics (all about counting) and "Modern Algebra" (Properties of sets, operations, groups, rings, fields . . . )

Great fun.

Reply to
Charles Krug

Trouble is, that's *not* what "root two times width squared" means. Precedence of operators, remember? Exponentiation *and* root extraction (which is simply exponentiation with a fractional exponent) are higher-priority operations than multiplication, and therefore "root two times width squared" means (the square root of two) times (the width squared).

Seems you're having trouble grasping the concept, so let's try a simpler example: solve "four plus three times five".

Do you get thirty-five, or nineteen?

Doug Miller

Sure wish you could add 1 + 1 with any consistency.

CIAO

--=20

PDQ

| simply exponentiation with a fractional exponent) are higher-priority=20 | operations than multiplication, and therefore "root two times width = squared"=20 | means (the square root of two) times (the width squared). |=20 | Seems you're having trouble grasping the concept, so let's try a = simpler=20 | example: solve "four plus three times five". |=20 | Do you get thirty-five, or nineteen? |=20 | -- | Regards, | Doug Miller (alphageek at milmac dot com) |=20 | Nobody ever left footprints in the sands of time by sitting on his = butt. | And who wants to leave buttprints in the sands of time?

Reply to
PDQ

A math major? Mine was chemistry. I did differential and integral calculus, analytic geometry and multivariate calculus with relative ease. Then I got to linear algebra and differential equations and my brain stopped working. It didn't help that we had a fresh PhD whiz kid as the prof who hadn't learned how to dumb it down yet to us poor slobs who were only minoring in math, not making it a career. Got a B in the class, but it was only because everybody was flunking and he had to resort to the curve to end all curves so that everybody didn't get an F. My first semester calc instructor told us on day one there would be no curve, even if it meant failing everybody. At the end, he said we were the best calculus class he ever had and that four people had earned A's (including me) and he hadn't given any A's at all in the previous three semesters. The class was an hour long and he gave three hour tests--one every two weeks and a take home test to go with the in-class test. We took our final exam in the library because it was open until 10:00PM. Our class time was at 6:00PM and he said he would be in the library at

4:30 if anyone wanted to start the test then. I arrived at 4:30 and turned in my exam when the library was closing. Out of 25 story problems, I still left three blank after 5 1/2 hours of work.
Reply to
Hax Planx

"D" =3D=3D "claimed thusly:

D> I've got a board set at a 45 degree angle, back from a line. How much= =20 D> (percentage) of the length of the board does it take up? To=20 D> conceptualize the issue, I drew a one inch line on paper with a ruler,= =20 D> and rotated the ruler to a 45 degree angle, thinking that the one inch= =20 D> mark on the ruler would be only 1/2 away from the starting point= (along=20 D> the original path of the ruler), but it looks like it's about 90%= along=20 D> the one inch span. What's the formula?

however wide the board is, that's the length which will be removed. a 45deg triangle's two legs are equal, and the hypotenuse is 1.4 times longer.

remember "soh-cah-toa":

sin (angle) =3D opposite / hypotenuse cos (angle) =3D adjacent / hypotenuse tangent (angle) =3D opposite / adjacent

also, for right triangles, the sum of the square of the sides equals the square of the hypotenuse. that is, a^2 + b^2 =3D c^2.

i have a page for compound miters on my website, if you're at all interested in how to use simple geometry in the shop.

regards, greg (non-hyphenated american)

--=20

Multiculturalism is a euphemism for national division

opted for Betamax, the world for VHS;=20 I for Amiga, the world IBM clones.

Esk=FCsz=FCnk, Esk=FCsz=FCnk, hogy rabok tov=E1bb nem lesz=FCnk!

Reply to
Greg L. Kimnach

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 14:03:11 -0400, "PDQ" wrote something ......and in reply I say!:

Which I immediately read as "1.414 * thickness * thickness". I would have to gnash quite a bit before I was happy that I had it right or wrong.

Amongst all your arguing, I think it would have made matters a damned sight easier if you had used a few brackets to clear things up right at the start, or rephrased your statement.

You were replying to someone, who was asking about a very fundamental geometry question, in a way guaranteed to provide abiguity to all but the "inner circle" of your conventions of math and English.

Subsequent replies from you indicate that basically you were being a smartarse.

All you had to say was "the square root of (two times (the square of the thickness of the board))".

or even (sqrt(2*(thickness ^2))"

Nick White --- HEAD:Hertz Music

!!

Reply to
Old Nick

I was 16 when I got to take calculus- and that was a year early, with a recommendation from the head of the math departement. There was no course higher than calc offered. Shame to say that in the three year gap between that and when I took calculus 2 in college, I forgot pretty much everything I had learned, and it really sort of soured my taste for higher maths.

Horray for the American public education system!