food warmer

Hi I am wondering if it would be possible to make a food warmer, something along the lines of this

in wood? It is for my church, we put on a meal once a month but most warmers run from $500 and up, the kick is I need to be able to have a constant temp. inside of 140 deg.

any help would be appreciated.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Leavens

You can probably do it, but the Board of Health will shut you down. If it is not stainless steel or an approved plastic, it is not allowed in food service. No room for negotiation on important food safety rules. It most be capable of being washed down and sanitized. Wood, even with coatings, will not qualify.

Check for used equipment from a restaurant supply house.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Depends on what you are doing. Certainly food contact surfaces need to be sanitizable (and they like to see coved corners too) but some things can be sealed/painted wood. Though this probably varies somewhat by state. I'd check with the local health inspector on this usage since it does not seem to be a food contact situation. I.E. the stuff will be plated or packaged in some way. It still has to be cleanable. I would wonder how well wood would hold up to the temperature and probable moisture.

A good idea. You might find some sort of stainless shelf unit that you could clad with wood if the goal is to keep the outside from getting too hot. I recently got a good deal on an 8ft long stainless steel table in which I mounted two stove tops for my wife's chocolate shop. For health inspector purposes the top is stainless, but for building/safety inspector purposes I had to enclose the underside of the stove tops and the wiring leading to them with a wood skirt. This is acceptable for the health guy because it's not a food contact surface and is painted to be cleanable. The cost of the table bought used was cheaper than the cost of materials alone if I had had it custom fabricated.

Bill Ranck Blacksburg, Va.

Reply to
ranck