Food safe stain/varnish

I am looking for food safe stain /varnish to put on some salt and pepper shakers. A Canadian source would be preferred.

Reply to
<billyb_1969

Varnish? Shellac. Lee Valley is a good source.

If you don't have a store in your area (Hey, Robin... I notice the exterior trim is going up on 51st, what's the date?) then go to

For an oil finish, walnut oil. Get it at the grocery store.

Where in Canada are you?

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Burnaby Never thought to check Lee valley

Reply to
<billyb_1969

And you call yourself a woodworker?

;-)

djb (in Saskatoon)

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Never said I was a woodworker and I knew about Lee Valley and bought a few tools some years ago and found the quality kinda crappy for the price. KMS tools, House of tools Princess auto have better prices. I have not done much in the way of fancy work so far and going to try my hand at some high end work finishing.

Reply to
<billyb_1969

You obviously don't -deserve- LVT quality.

-------------------------------------------------------------------- Unfortunately, the term "Homo Sapiens" is a goal, not a description. ----

Web Design for YOUR Business!

Larry Jaques

Behlen salad bowel finish is great. It is available through most woodworking catalogs.

Reply to
Frank J. Vitale

EEYEEEW!!!!

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Chitterlings and sauce?

Tung oil varnish, actually.

Reply to
George

Unless you plan on finishing the INSIDE of the salt & pepper shakers, or plan on IMMERSING the salt and/or pepper shakers in your food, than you can finish the OUTSIDE with anything you want...

BruceT

Reply to
Bruce T

I thought ALL finishes are food safe when fully cured.

Jack

Reply to
John Flatley

I was planning on coating the inside for the salt shaker, from what I have read it will protect the wood. And with the pepper there will be the possibility of the varnish coming off as you grind the peppers. I would like to have a nice finish that will show the grain of the wood I choose.

I can show you picture of the v-clamping system I bought from LEE Valley. I still have it sitting in my closet as a reminder that kind of quality

<billyb_1969

You're right.

The concept of a "food-safe" finish is a myth. Any finish touted as being specifically for use with items touched by food as being "food-safe" is merely a marketing ploy.

ALL finishes are food-safe once fully cured.

A.J.

Reply to
A.J. Hamler

All finishes are safe for food contact once fully cured. You are not eating the shakers, just letting the food you eat come in contact with them. Just make sure the finish has FULLY cured. You might wish to let them cure for double or triple the amount of time it says on the can.

Good Luck.

Reply to
Baron