Gloat? Not yet...

A friend at work asked me if I knew anyone with an old aluminum top for a benchtop table saw. He broke his and didn't have the cash to buy a replacement. I told him I'd check. I had an old Craftsman benchtop that I had tuned and built a folding outfeed table for. It can pass the nickle test in it's current form.

So, since I haven't used it in years I brought it in and had him stick it in his van. I told him to just keep it and use it. He's a nice guy and I really didn't want to take his money for a Craftsman benchtop saw.

Then he tells me why he's so broke he can't afford an el-cheapo table saw. It would seem that he has been a sawyer for years and he just bought a new band saw mill. His plan is to sell hardwoods from logs he and his buddy have been harvesting for years. They have a pile of oak and walnut ready to cut and he said they had some really special logs that had to be seen to be believed. We have alot of really fine hardwoods locally but most of it is sold for export and it's hard to find a sawyer that wants to mess with small orders.

So, I have just traded a benchtop saw for a pile of log-run oak with some quartersawn thrown in. He's also going to be a good source for quality lumber for a long time.

Life is good...

Jim

Reply to
Jeepnstein

Jeepnstein wrote: but most of it is sold for export and it's hard to

That's a gloat already - even if you never saw a stick of that wood. Causing a gloat is as just as good as scoring one. More so since it was an act of kindness that is likely to bring YOUR end of the gloat home to roost.

You're right, life is good when things work that way. I've had it happen under similar circumstances here on the wreck. Life is indeed good.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

On Thu, 4 Aug 2005 21:17:07 -0600, Jeepnstein wrote (in article ):

.

Hmmm. this is a karma return. no a gloat in the sense that the trade should result in even karma, but definitely a gloat in that you know the direct result of the karma and the direct result is WOOD!

Congrats! (you sucketh!)

-Bruce

Reply to
Bruce

*There's* the gloat. Getting cheap wood once is great. But since your buddy is a saywer, I envision a steady supply of inexpensive hardwood in your future.

Indeed.

So where is your friend's mill and how do we contact him? There are probably several potential clients reading this ng right now.

Reply to
Joe Wells

He's not up and running yet. I expect to see some wood in a couple of weeks since I'll probably be getting a bit from the first few logs they do. I'm trying to get him to quarter a few logs since that brings a bigger price. Once they have their stuff together I'll let you know. We're in Southern Ohio, right on the river. It's about a two hour drive to Civilization no matter what direction you travel.

Oh, you should have heard the gloat our boss dropped on us a while ago. He was a shop teacher at the time. It was in the early seventies. How does 1500 bd feet of cherry, some as wide as 16 inches, for a buck a foot sound. He bought it off a farmer who had it stickered in his barn since the Great Depression. The farmer knew what he had but just wanted it to go to someone who would do the right thing with it.

Jim

Reply to
Jeepnstein