Flooring

My flooring is floating over a concrete slab. Been in for about 4 years with no signs of wear or other problems. Not sure why you're so negative on Bruce flooring. Do you have experience with it?

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

If you buy the same glue at Home Dspot, Lowes, or your local "flooring store" it will be the same quality. Sometimes the flooring store has better stuff available, but that is also true of places like Lowes and Home Despot. If you buy the cheapest crap either place has, you get junk. If you buy the best either place has, you MAY be overpaying for your requirements, but it is still cheaper than having to do it over because you cheaped out.

I generally check around and don't buy either the cheapest or the most expensive.

My experience is buying the same quality, same brand product from the big box stores or from a real retailer (flooring shop, etc) there is not a big difference in price, and if you need advice, the advice you get from the "expert" is a lot better than what you get from the "borg"

Reply to
clare

When you say "it", you mean the current floor right?

Lightweight concrete can be up to 80% lighter than conventional. But you have to talk to competent people. It's amazing what they can do to the concrete surface. Stamping, coloring and other tricks. But that means more $$. Ask someone that knows their stuff with concrete

Reply to
Electric Comet

Doug Winterburn wrote in news:54dfadb2$0$57800 $c3e8da3$ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com:

I said don't ask how I know about tearing out a glue-down floor :-)

Had to take up a Bruce floor which did not hold up in a home office...the finish just wore away, and then the planks started delaminating.

Now, Bruce makes a wide selection of flooring, and yours may hold up better, especially if it's low-traffic. But for someone looking to do an install, I would definately look at other vendors. From personal experience I know Anderson is good, even their lower-priced lines, but I'm sure there are others.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote in news:umfvdallijfhnepvi04me54slqijranofm@

4ax.com:

No, that is not true. In the case of glue for engineered wood floors, Home Depot or Lowes will have _one_ brand available, and it will be the lowest cost one.

The flooring store likely will give you a choice, and if they don't their one brand will be a better quality one.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

Lowes carries Bostik , Bruce, Tecsun, Mohawk, and USFloor. 3 1/2 or 4 gallon containers $160, $89, $190, $220, and $192 US prices repectively. I think the despot carries Roberts and Taylor - at least

2 different products from Taylor - MS+ and Tuff-Lok at $134 and $76 respectively, with the Roberts at about $95

Flooring experts are using the Bostik product, as well as Tecsun, Bruce, and Mohawk (depending on the brand of flooring they sell)

Reply to
clare

Delaminating? How does wood delaminate? It's not laminated in the first place.

Reply to
krw

Likely engineered hardwood. - or even more likely, Bruce Laminate - which is far from "hardwood" as you can get. Laminate is a picture of hardwood decoupaged onto some of the crappiest thick paperboard you can find.. There are a few companies that produce a durable laminate, but it will cost as much as real quality hardwood.

Reply to
clare

Any wood flooring will take a beating from an office chair with rollers unless a floor mat is used.

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

We're talking about engineered wood flooring here. That's a kind of plywood. Plywood delaminates when it's not made well.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote in news:s410eadhdnkln3ufspcv8aqn24754afsnn@

4ax.com:

Are you looking on the website or in the store? My store carries Bruce. That's the only hardwood flooring adhesive they actually stock.

Now, they have a ton of choices on the website - but if you're going to special order it, you might as well go to a flooring store anyway.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

My stores, locally, don't stock the hardwood either, so if you are going to order the wood, you may as well order the adhesive as well. ANd if youy are ordering it, you may as well order the stuff recommended by the manufacturer. No?? If Bruce Hardwood says use Bruce adhesive - use it. Then they don't have a leg to stand on if something goes wrong. - or use Bostik - the "industry standard".

Reply to
clare

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote in news:1392ea5m8ocne2gjprgv8c7d6gtd9nkoc9@

4ax.com:

Well, that was sort of my point.

Good advice, I'd agree.

Well, I wouldn't dispute that either. I just wouldn't use Bruce period - as noted above, my experience is that it's a low quality product, and you can get better quality for a similar price from other manufacturers.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

Bruce makes the full gammit, from photo-finished dense cardboard to high quality solid hardwood - to cover the financial limitations of it's projected customer base, and to get it's products on the shelves of everything from flooring express to wallmart to Shangrla custom flooring and diamonds!!

Reply to
clare

I have not been impressed with a number of things coming out of HD or Lowes, at least in my area, these past couple years.

I hear you. One of my early flooring jobs was to lay an oak parquet floor over concrete in the lower level of a house. It was later subjected to tons of moisture, which we didn't know at the time. That floor looked like a crazy rollercoaster for a few years until we got the moisture issues addressed, rpleaced some tiles and provided more air circulation. It was glued to concrete and, aside from being a pain to pull up, it was a pain to lay as the glue setup fast. My fingers and hands hurt for days afterward. It looked good when dry! `Casper

Reply to
Casper

You know, the funny part was they really never gave me a clear answer on floor and or cabinets. The words floor and cabinets seemed to be interchangeable during that discussion.

I agree. My mother wanted to put is a small patio with pavers but the locals were charging $2200+ for a 10x10 patio, and additional to remove and rebuild her single doorstep. I told her screw that and go with stamped concrete. Once I explained it to her, we got a local guy, she picked a slate pattern and now loves her $1200 patio.

I tried to tell my friend that but he stopped listening to me years ago. To give you an idea of his logic ...

  1. Changed propane stove to electric. Got an oversized connection wire so stove heats up faster because more electrons move through the larger wire. Now his wife can't pre-heat because it ruins the food.
  2. Wanted a larger fridge. Told him he'd have to remove a cabinet or move fridge to a different location. Not enough space between cabinets, stove and wall and it needs circulation. He shoved it in and the new fridge has a crease down both sides from cabinet and wall. Absolustely no space except what might be behind it and about an inch above it. He can't move the fridge w/o more damage.
  3. Only kitchen window is rotting out from the bottom up. Why? Well ir may be due to it being over sink but it's probably more likely that it's because they splash everywhere, water flowers directly on the window from the sprayer and empty/refill their 125 turtle tank from that sink.
  4. I refer to my friend as Tim Taylor. Why? Well one day he wanted to fix a wall switch/outlet but couldn't get it out, so he took his sawsall and cut through the wall. Yes, before looking. Yes, he cut through a power line. Yes, his wife, who was drying her hair, freaked out. Yes, this man needs a supervision.

His cabinets are on the cheap side but not that cheap. He got lied to but will never admit it.

He bought vinyl flooring from tiny dealer who never removed old flooring nails or fixed other flooring problems before laying new vinyl. Now his bedroom and bathroom floors are full of little bumps, sags and dips from the nails, etc. He called to complain two weeks later and (ready for it?), the business was gone. Empty. Vamoosed.

`Casper

Reply to
Casper

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote in news:o5c4eatun16ih7barogn3tfmsbnl0ttp4d@

4ax.com:

Two things - firstly, the OP was looking for an inexpensive solution. While Bruce does make product across the whole range of prices, their inexpensive product is poor quality.

Secondly, it's my belief that at every price point, there are products from other manufacturers which are better quality than Bruce.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

Sho me ANY company who's low end product is good quality. It doesn't exist!@! remember "If you want first quality oats, you need to be willing to pay first quality price - If you are willing to settle for oats that have already gone through the horse, they DO come a little cheaper"

Reply to
clare

Thanks for remembering that point. Actually I not only want an inexpesive solution but one that is different.

A hardwood floor in my home really would end up being a waste unless it was recycled hardwood and even then I wouldn't waste it.

I'm not against laminates but I have personally seen too many people with delaminating floors. This probably won't be the case for me as I treat things radically different than most people but the only ones I like the look of at all are the more expensive selections. Why? Becuase companies know that's what people will want.

I've considered cork, especially since it will add another insulating factor, but again the better designs are more expensive. Same with bamboo. I'd go with either in a heartbeat if I could.

I like the vinyl planks, especially the ones with attached padding, but again, price is higher. I spent about three hours at one shop looking at all they have and can order, finally finding a design and it was $5.29 a sq ft. The owner is the friend of a friend and said he could give me a discount but that to floor my entire home would still cost at least 6k w/o labor.

I realise costs have risen but right now that's not an option for me. I have a roof and foundation that need fixing first. Ergo my looking into alternative flooring. I have one friend who put a laminate in their kitchen because the old vinyl was damaged due to the dishwasher leaking. Actually, it buckled the floor. They spent over $1500 for what they told me was a temporary floor until the remodeled the house the following year. Interestingly their budget it only slightly higher than mine. They can waste what they want but not me. Not at $1500.

I thought maybe, just maybe someone might have known someone who has or did a plywood floor and could tell me a little more about it than I can gleen via Google. I guess not. Thanks.

`Casper

Reply to
Casper

So, as an example, Festool's "low-end" drill is not good quality?

s-Drill-p/564261.htm

You said "ANY company who's low end product" which means (to me) the low en d product of that company's product line.

That drill is *their* low end product and I'll bet it's quality is pretty g ood.

I'm sure the same can be said about other companies: Even their low-end off erings can be a quality item as long as they refuse to sell junk just to hi t a price point.

I have a "low-end" snow blower made by Ariens. Their "low-end" is their Sno

-Tek line. They managed to hit a particular price point with a quality prod uct. I'd put my Sno-Tek up against any MTD, Craftsman, Yard Machine unit in the same price range with no hesitation.

Reply to
DerbyDad03