Fish Tank Design - any good?

Not exactly. Let's say your tank is 1.5' by 5'. Here's what I'd do. Make up four frame and panel assemblies 19" wide and as tall as I want tha tank to be. Two for the outside and two for the inside. Make the outside ones 1/5" taller than the inside ones to allow for a 3/4" rabbet top and bottom. Cut the 3/4" sheet goods 19"x60" and glue into the top and bottom of the outside frames. Space the inside frames equally and glue into place.

Now that's the simplified version. The width of the 4/4 stock used for the frames is a matter of taste but I'd probably use 3" wide stock.

Dan, it appears from some of your questions that you're a relative beginner at woodworking. Starting with an aquarium stand is a great way to get a lake in your living room. My suggestion would be to buy a stand or find an experienced woodworker to build one for you. If you're still interested in woodworking take some classes, read some books, build some things that aren't structurally critical. We all had to go through a few years of learning - and I'm still learning :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Yes, you could say I'm a relative beginner. Although I'm not a kid, my only significant experience with building any kind of cabinets was with my store. We did a complete renovation ourselves, which required quite a bit of sub floor modifications, load bearing wall changes, as well as new partition walls. So, I learned a lot from this. I think the counter came out quite nice. You can see it here:

also built our chinchilla palace, which you can see above. (I know, the doors aren't square to the framing - I borrowed the doors from an older cage I built...).

Being an engineer, I fully realize I'm no expert, and I might well just buy a stand for the tank. On the other hand, I like doing this kind of thing as long as I do it right (I do have access to a good table saw, and have everything else I would need). That's why I over research anything I do like this. It seemed to me that the guy who built the stand out of 4x4's was overdoing it, and I don't particularly want to move something that weighs as much as the tank to my new home when that time comes.

You made me laugh because I was looking at the tank location relative to the chinchilla cage the other day, and wondered exactly how far the tidal wave would wash up into the cage if the tank fell over in that direction. Ever see a wet chinchilla? lol

If I ever build this thing, I'll post a drawing of my plans before I do it. Hopefully I can get some tips that will keep the living room dry for a long time. :)

thanks, dwhite

Reply to
Dan White

OK, that makes more sense. BTW, this would be for fresh water. I've done the marine thing, and am just not up for that.

Thanks! dwhite

Reply to
Dan White

Hi Dan, All,

I am in the same over-engineered planning phase. Here are some drawings of what I am going after...

lee.cherubin

WOW. Those are great drawings. Looks like it is exactly for a 75 gal tank, too. Have you settled on this construction design?

dwhite

Reply to
Dan White

I have settled on this design. You could use this for 75g or 90g, as they have the same footprint. This will be my biggest woodworking project to date, so I think I'm in the same boat as you. I do have access to a friend's tools, so now I just need to learn how to make the dado cuts for the lap joints. :)

Draw> WOW. Those are great drawings. Looks like it is exactly for a 75 gal tank,

Reply to
lee.cherubin