Question about service on a hotwater heater tank

Hi,

I am hoping that someone can help me....

Our bottom element was burned out on our hot water heater, and a repair technician was sent over to look at it. Well, as he started to work on replacing the element, I heard some yelling. It seems that the pressure of the valve (bottom of the tank), was so strong that it went everywhere, soaking him and my basement! Luckily, I have concrete floors.

My question is: is he at fault no matter what? He didn't turn the water off, nor did he drain the tank. I'm not looking to place blame, but after 2 hours of cleaning up and thinking about it more. I'm feeling a bit upset about how he handled it. He said that there must be something wrong with how the tank was installed, that this has never happened to him in 30 years....he jokingly said that he should charge me an extra 20 dollars on my bill. Then I was left cleaning up the mess! No apologies or anything...

By the way this heater was installed by the same company the technician is from, but I don't know anything more than that as it came with the house when we bought it.

Based on what I have told you, what should have he done? What should I do? Although I cleaned up the water, I'm afraid if some of the water did go under where the walls are that I could have a potential problem on my hand.

Any suggestions, and does anyone know what the protocol is when changing a hot water tank element?

Many thanks,

Angela

Reply to
ang

A water heater serviceman is supposed to know enough to (a) drain the water, (b) turn off the electricity before starting work.

Reply to
Don Phillipson

The "technician" should have _at least_ known to shut the valve and relieve the pressure before opening the lower element. It can be done with very little water loss. It's definitely the "tech's" fault. Tom Work at your leisure!

Reply to
Tom

What if the OP's fill valve for the water heater wouldn't close? I have come across broken gate valves before.

Reply to
HeatMan

Heat,

If the "fill" valve was broken it would be obvious when the he tried to relieve the pressure. The water then would be turned off at the main shut off instead. This "technician" could have seriously scalded himself. Not cleaning up was inexcusable.

Dave M.

Reply to
David Martel

Then you go out to the street and shut it there. Tom Work at your leisure!

Reply to
Tom

Thanks for your responses. I am glad to know that It is what everyone else has told me.I have some calls into the company but I have been getting the run around. They keep putting me through to Customer Service, I really want to speak to the Service Manager. I guess the technician did not put in an incident report either. I want the Service manager to tell me what he thinks, and if he agrees that it was not "our" fault for having faulty equipment.

Thanks again for all of your help!

Reply to
ang

Why do you want to heat hot water? Are you nuts?

Reply to
Oscar_Lives