Finishing question

I have a whole room (walls and ceiling) of T&G pine that I spent 8 hours sanding to remove stains, etc. and I want to varnish it with something. I'm considering satin water-based poly that won't fill my house with fumes when it dries. However, the water-based stuff will probably raise the grain and I'm tired of sanding. (I know I'll have to sand between coats anyway, but just lightly). Should I seal first with shellac to avoid raising the grain? The fumes from shellac won't be as bad as from something oil based? Opinion? Shellac?

Remove the 'remove' in my address to e:mail me.

Reply to
SteveC1280

I actually LIKE the smell of shellac!! (compared to EVERY other finish in the world). shellac won't raise the grain and works under poly. you will need the dewaxed kind for good adhesion of the poly, though. (Bob Flexner "Understanding Wood Finishes" page 149)

dave

SteveC1280 wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave