finish for mismatched maple

Hi Guys, I'm putting together a bookcase/cabinet that has maple plywood sides and solid maple face frame. Unfortunately the plywood veneer is much lighter in tone than the adjacent solid wood. I was hoping to just clear coat the project with poly, but I'm afraid it will exacerbate the color differences. Any suggestions?? Thanks Mark

Reply to
Mark

Mark wrote:>Hi Guys,

Test it out on some scraps, and go from lighter to darker shades in small increments. Tom Someday, it'll all be over....

Reply to
Tom

Even if they were the same tone you'll find that plywood, due to the thin layer of veneer with a non porous layer of glue behind it will take finish and or stain differently then solid wood of the same species.

First thing to do is to test the ply and solid wood to see how it does react to the finish.

If there is too much of a difference a glaze is the best answer to the problem.

Good luck

Reply to
Mike G

You could add color to a the clear finish and spray the lighter areas.

No spray gear? Many companies, such as Behlen's, sell tinted lacquer premixed in spray cans. Fog it on SLOWLY, it's much easier to add more color than to remove it later.

Practice on scrap! Take notes while you practice.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

"Mike G" wrote in news:MtKdnTLUy snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Would shellac help solve the problem? I've got a project on the bench right now, with a similar construction. The only place that a tonal difference would cause me a big problem is where I edge-banded the 3/4" maple. Otherwise, the design would be enhanced by the tonal differences.

I had been planning to use Bartley's Gel Varnish, but my arm could be twisted to use dewaxed blonde or platinum shellac instead. These are a pair of night stands, and so the difference in durability is not a crucial factor.

This finishing science/art/magic will drive me back to golf one day....

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

Hi Patriarch

Honestly, I don't know if it will work or not, only testing will tell.

Sorry, that's the best I can do.

Good luck Mike

Reply to
Mike G