finish for Lodgepole Pine dimples?

Hi, I came across a bunch of nice Lodgepole Pine at the lumberyard. It's straight grained, has few knots and is peppered with dimples.

I don't know much about finishing so I'm looking for a method to pop the dimples. So far, tung oil, poly, light mineral oil and stain have not really done the job. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for the first post. It seems to have been made with disappearing ink bytes.

Thanks, John

Reply to
JohnB

I love lodge pole pine. Very small tight knots and pretty stable for pine but very white and doesn't color well with age as well as some other pines.

If I understand you are trying to make some figure (you are calling dimples) show up more. I thought dimples would be a physical dent but it seems you don't mean that.

One trick to make any figure "pop" is to use a dark analine dye and dye the whole surface. Then sand 90% or more of the dye off. It soaks in more and less in diffenert areas and it may actually soak in more where you don't have dimples or the dimples might be harder and not let you sand it away just next to he dimples. In any case, this adds contrast so whatever the figure it shows up better.

You can see an example of curly maple done withthis technique here

here

SonomaProducts.com

Reply to
Swingman

You're right, dimples are conical dents but they are not very deep. I'll try the dye idea but I suspect the abrasive will have to be very fine to keep from scratching into the bottom of the dimple. I'll let you know if it works. Thanks. John

Reply to
JohnB